Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 12:43 PM

Bar End shifters Vs. STI

Any quick advice on Bar End shifters.....I am currently getting ready to to a new build on more of a Rando/Touring style frame for longer packed roads, maybe some commuting and light bikepacking. I have never used bar ends but they seem to be the go to on this kind of build. Why would I use them over regular STI and if I do use them it will likely be with 11 speed Shimano comaptible stuff....do I want Indexed or friction? These are new to me. I appreciate any advice.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:22 PM

People who tour a lot like them because they're less likely to break in unfixable fashion. I like them on commuters because they're cheaper than brifters. Retrogrouches like them because they can shift friction (I personally can't stand it). Where they haven't worked for me is on any kind of rough terrain - I need more shift accuracy there.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:28 PM

Personally, if I were to assemble a tourer I would use Paul shifters mounts: protected in case of a spill or crash, can be used with brake interuptors, any 6,7,8,9 speed downtube or bar end shifters will work in friction or index mode

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...imanothumbies/
Old 02-09-2024, 02:33 PM

For cold weather riding, bar end shifters can be easier to operate while wearing mittens or thick gloves.

The obvious advantage to friction shifters is that you can mix-and-match shifters/derailleurs/cassettes. They can also work in the case of misaligned components (such as a bent hanger). But with a well adjusted system of matched components, I can't see an advantage to friction shifters.

Last edited by Mark McM; 02-09-2024 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:55 PM

I put bar-end shifters on all my city/commuter bikes, which are generally "up-cycled" 80's 10-speed bikes. For these, I'm generally using a 6-speed freewheel in the rear (120mm spacing), so friction shifting is just fine. I always have a hoard of the old Suntour Barcons, which are indestructible and work great.

I've never used indexed bar-end shifters, so I can't speak to those.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:01 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrewhill View Post
Any quick advice on Bar End shifters.....I am currently getting ready to to a new build on more of a Rando/Touring style frame for longer packed roads, maybe some commuting and light bikepacking. I have never used bar ends but they seem to be the go to on this kind of build. Why would I use them over regular STI and if I do use them it will likely be with 11 speed Shimano comaptible stuff....do I want Indexed or friction? These are new to me. I appreciate any advice.
My commute/tour bikes have always had bar ends because its quirky and why not have em.
Ive used friction and indexed from multiple brands and indexed is way better than friction. You can always go friction on an indexed bar end, so there is really no downside to just getting indexed.
Countless thousands of miles have been logged on Shimano 9sp and Microshift 11sp, and I have no preference for one over the other. They are a lever that clicks and my chain moves- I just dont have a passionate view of one over the other for that sort of thing.

As for STI or bar end? I would go with whichever you think is more fun to ride and convenient. I have 0 fear of STI shifters, but many do, even after over 3 decades of their existence. I dont think STI shifters are delicate or finicky and would be happy to use them instead.

I really just keep using the bar end shifters because Ive had em for years and they keep working. My commute/touring bike doesnt get a ton of miles at this point in my life.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:05 PM

All the barcons I have ever used had the option to flip from friction to indexed. I liked friction better because you can throw any wheel on it and it will shift. They are simpler and easy to maintain, lighter then STI, and seem to just work forever. I think that is why the tourers like them. I had them on my cross bikes way back in the day.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:06 PM

In my experience, friction shifting just makes sense for 1x wide range cassette drivetrains on touring and bikepacking rigs. A bike like that should have a high stack, which makes riding in the drops more comfortable for long distances and thus a bar end is very conveniently located. Off road, this also gives your elbows a better position to absorb chatter and work as your suspension. Big shifts across the cassette are quicker and smoother and less finicky in terms of maintenance. I've been riding Ritchey Venturemax XL bars, a microshift bar end, and slx rd and 11-46 cassette for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. I've got a pic below to give you a sense of the geometry I'm talking about.

If you're riding in a paceline, maintaining a tight cadence, and making small frequent shifts through a tightly spaced cassette, STI definitely makes more sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qKT5pVr.jpg (140.3 KB, 297 views)
Old 02-09-2024, 03:08 PM

I don't mind BE shifters on bikes that don't need constant shifting inputs. They work OK on off-road applications and bikepacking where there's coasting or just loping along in a low gear.

I don't like them so much for rolling hilly road riding so that you're constantly shifting to maintain a certain cadence. I prefer STI shifters for that.

KJ
Old 02-09-2024, 03:09 PM

flip a coin. I have a 1x11 with microshift barend and shimano derailleur and it shifts great I like that I can easily switch between indexed and friction and ultimately I run friction mode for several rides then decide to try indexed and ultimately go back to friction and the cycle just keeps repeating itself. I swap cassettes as well between 11-34 and 11-42 and the switch is seamless as bar end shifts exactly the same with either one.

Last edited by jadmt; 02-09-2024 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrewhill View Post
What brakes are you using on your bike? STI levers don't work well with V brakes. V brakes are better than cantis. Definitely index shifting.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:16 PM

I am not a big fan of bar end levers on traditionally shaped drop bars. But, I do have a single, right lever on a 1X drivetrain with a Ritchey Beacon Bar. It is very shallow drop, short reach, and 30 degree flare. I went with bar end in friction due to cost, mainly. Using friction mode, I now have a 12 speed by changing only the cassette and chain. Front is 44 tooth, rear is 11-34. Already had the lever.
I also have bar ends being used in friction mode on a bike with Velo-Orange Porter bar. The bar ends are really convenient, and again, cost was a factor. That bike is now 11 speed using 6500 derailleurs. With bar ends and cross brake levers, the whole bar is open for hands.

It is very easy to switch gearing, and maintenance is about as easy as it gets on geared bicycles. If you have a couple sets of wheels sitting around, you can have different speeds, gearing and tires set up to switch for different uses.

Last edited by DeBike; 02-09-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:17 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Been an indexed bar-con fan for all time. Indexed rear and double or triple friction front. When I used to ride in tight groups/pace line situations [don't anymore] I wanted my hands on brake/hoods/shifting in those tight situations. Tops when we loosen up or I was up front Pace, or second from front etc.

Don't rule out the Gevenalle, I always had wanted to try them and when I did, well they are on that bike ever since for years. It is a CX bike I use for woods and around [with slicks] town. I like these, especially in woods/fields/deer-paths VS bar-cons. You always have both hands on and bars can't get nudged too easy by ruts etc.

Here in PDX you see them on geared city bike semi frequently..

Agree about drop on bars with bar-cons. Especially with short drop bars, you kinda slide your hand down from hood, so you don't let go of bar totally if that matters to you.

Some longer drop [tails/tips] with some bars I'd cut some off the bar, otherwise i found the reach to the bar-con too much of a slide for my druthers. YMMV.

EDIT: cutting bars also helps from accidental knee to bar con shifts, ask how i know.

Last edited by robt57; 02-09-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:22 PM

Bandre,
I have four road bikes (that's it because my wife and I only ride road). All have bar-end shifters. That's because they all ride so well and my contact points are set up so that I am in the drops 90% of the time except for climbing and descending. Three of mine are indexed Shimano 10 and 11 speed, but I am trying the Velo-Orange friction ones on my Kirk and they feel great so far. They have a micro-ratcheting system that evens out the upshift and downshift feel.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...r-end-shifters

Last edited by dcama5; 02-09-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
All the barcons I have ever used had the option to flip from friction to indexed. I liked friction better because you can throw any wheel on it and it will shift. They are simpler and easy to maintain, lighter then STI, and seem to just work forever. I think that is why the tourers like them. I had them on my cross bikes way back in the day.
The Shimano 10s bar end shifters I have do not have a friction option. I imagine that applies to 10s and above. No idea about other manufacturers' shifters however.