Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2023, 02:38 PM

Campy Wheelset Recs for a Pegoretti Duende?

I've read through all the various wheel threads, BTLOS, Campy, Fulcrum, Hunt, etc.

I just moved to Portugual, and just sent over a deposit for a new Pegoretti to the studio (my wife is getting one too, even though she hasn't ridden a bike in years). We'll be headed over to Italy at the end of the month to meet with Christina/Pietro to finalize frame set measurements.

I am going to do a Duende cross, with a steel fork, and mid reach brakes. Ciavete paint job. No idea what my wife is going do to do, but I am probably going to do a Chorus 12 groupset, Velo Orange Cru brakeset and some Deda bars/stem/seatpost. I have been going back and forth on the Shamal wheels, or whether I should try something else/more expensive/less expensive. I've read all the feedback on BTLOS with the arc braking track, but the last set of carbon rim brakes were a long time ago and they were on and off. I know they have changed a lot. Lisbon is pretty damn hilly where I live.

Considering the Bora WTO while they are still available, but my wallet hurts just thinking about it since I'll probably need to double up with my wife's bike!

Recommendations? You can tell me to suck it up and be financially irresponsible and get 2 sets of Boras, and maybe that is what I need to hear.

TIA!
Old 10-08-2023, 02:48 PM

Well, you gotta go with Campy or Fulcrum wheels, that's s no-brainer. Low end, you could go with Fulcrum Racing 3. Good, better-than-basic, reliable wheelset. Maybe consider those as back-up, crappy weather wheels, and maybe also consider those for your wife's bike. The alloy braking is, again, reliable and not noisy. And if you're not sure how much riding she's going to do, save the Bora idea for later.
For your bike, maybe a second set of those B wheels would be good, too.

Last edited by tv_vt; 10-08-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Even though they can be very good, budget chinese carbon wheels are all wrong for a classic pegoretti. A mid reach brake bike with a steel fork seems more of an all-rounder than a bleeding edge performance machine, so skip the boras IMO, and skip carbon in general.

My vote would be the shamal mille or a handbuilt set of lightweight wheels on campag, WI or CK hubs.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:21 PM

You still can buy new Record 32h hubs from a UK retailer. Have them built with a 21mm rim (HED Belgium, Boyd Altamont,...).

As an alternative, start off with Zonda at 300 euro and transition to a higher end wheelset once you and your wife know precisely what you want
Old 10-08-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
(my wife is getting one too, even though she hasn't ridden a bike in years).
Just a thought... you may want to consider saving the money on a Peg for her and buy a nice, light carbon e-bike instead.

Then again, maybe the crew at Pegoretti can do an assist bike.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Just a thought... you may want to consider saving the money on a Peg for her and buy a nice, light carbon e-bike instead.

Then again, maybe the crew at Pegoretti can do an assist bike.
I got her a shimano steps bike about 6 years ago, she never rode it. She just wants a new bike because I'm getting one and we're going there to get measured. 🤣
Old 10-08-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJersey View Post
You still can buy new Record 32h hubs from a UK retailer. Have them built with a 21mm rim (HED Belgium, Boyd Altamont,...).
That’s what I’d do.. Classic and classy.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:25 PM
commuter racer

I would just get some Zondas and upgrade if needed. They are such great wheels for the price.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:10 PM

WTO's are great wheels, so likely that you won't be disappointed. I had a Duende cross bike that Old Potatoe built me a solid aluminum set of wheels for. Some nice Hed Belgium's or DT wide ID rims with a good solid set of hubs will also be great on that bike!
Old 10-08-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Bora WTO while they are still available
Quiet, you!
Old 10-08-2023, 07:22 PM

I have ridden my duende with both shamals and wto’s and it rode great on both. Those wto’s are sexier tho.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:03 PM

I have ridden Pegs with Reynolds’s, Enve’s, Corima, Lightweight’s and Bora 35’s and 50’s. Nothing nicer than Bora 50’s (tubular). Bombproof and fast. WTO’s are probably nicer.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:28 PM

I like mine best with classics.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:32 PM

I would get 2 sets of WTO's since you're going for it but I stopped in to say that I really like your style of "I can only take ONE bike to Portugual but nothing about buying a bike while IN Portugual!!!" My wife would want an ebike with a kid carrier but that's ok, too! Can't wait to see them when you take delivery.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:00 PM

Honestly, I would do the following:

1. Get the Shamals, since they're a sure thing.
2. Order a set of BTLOS arc hoops on DT hubs to get your feet wet with modern carbon stuff. If that goes well enough, splurge for the WTOs and flip the BTLOS hoops or keep em as seconds.

We own both the WTO 33s and a whole host of BTLOS wheels, and the BTLOS are great for the money and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Having said that, they do not come with Campy hubs, and Campy hubs are butter.