Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 09:16 PM

For those of you that ride both road and gravel, which is a more complete workout?

All things being relatively equal (elevation gain, mileage etc).

For me, it’s gravel (dirt) hands-down. The resistance is much greater going up a dirt incline than a paved road, and the terrain is more variable. The descents are (almost) always more technical on the dirt (or gravel), and even in the “sensory awareness” category I think dirt comes out on top.

Granted, nothing heightens your survival instincts like being on the lookout for cars, but on the fire roads where I bike, you have to constantly be aware of your surroundings. I love downhill sections where I can let it rip, but I have to have a clear sight line and make sure there are no hikers or dogs. Especially small dogs. I don’t want to be “that guy.”
Old 05-26-2021, 09:20 PM

Easily gravel. There should be a conversion system so when it takes me 3 hours to do 33 miles on gravel, I can say "Yeah, but that's the same as X on the road!"
Kidding, of course, but gravel works everything plus handling skills.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:56 PM

The up and down is about the same paved vs gravel in my neck of the woods, but I definitely get some upper body work out on the longer, hairier descents. Last week I did a descent which gives up about 1500’ in 3 miles on pretty thick gravel. The arms were pretty sore after that one!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:58 PM

In addition to the physical demands, the cognitive loads of keeping yourself upright on a loose surface shouldn’t be discounted either.

Of course, MTB is the next level for a more complete workout. My shoulders and core have never looked better
Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The resistance is much greater going up a dirt incline than a paved road, and the terrain is more variable
Watts are watts.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:44 PM
Boeuf Chane

I haven't ridden off-road in ages, but when I used to do MTB rides every now and then I always felt way more beat up than on the road, even if it was a fraction of the distance (or time). (and a lot dirtier too)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Watts are watts.
Exactly, all that matters is muscle recruitment, time and effort for the workout. Your body has no idea what a mph or a kph is and really doesn't care, but it darn sure knows what 300 watts is on a bike and how long you are going to keep it up.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:49 PM

MTB is the most complete workout of all of these. But to ask what cycling discipline is the most complete exercise is kinda like asking a nutritionist which is healthier, a Big Mac or Double Whopper with cheese. Cycling (full stop) is not really that good for a complete workout.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:30 PM

if it is the same mileage and same elevation, the gravel ride will take a longer time compared to a road ride, generally speaking. i dunno which is a better workout but the gravel ride ought to burn more calories.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:34 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Cycling (full stop) is not really that good for a complete workout.
Hmmmmm...

Old 05-27-2021, 06:30 AM

Gravel is a more labor intensive workout if the mileage and elevation are equal. Add to that larger volume tires and a little heavier bicycle in most cases and it would seem quantifiable.

I agree with Joost in that the most complete cycling workout is on a MTB. Tossing a bike around on rough terrain is more cognitively and physically engaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2021, 07:09 AM

I used to ride rigid single speed on very rocky, rooty trails with plenty of climbing.

That's about the most complete I can think of on a bicycle.

SPP
Old 05-27-2021, 07:38 AM

You have to compare rides as a function of time, not mileage, to have a fair comparison.

When I rode mtb a lot more, I used to ponder the difference between road and mtb riding. Mtb is more intense in that you can't just go mindless for a few minutes and spin along - you'll crash. Mtb has a lot of shorter, but punchier climbs, at least where I ride. I put gravel squarely between the two. Not as technical, you can relax and spin for awhile, climbs can be anything.

I guess it depends on how you treat your road rides. Are they intense training workouts, or more casual? I can safely say mine are casual these days.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:58 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Watts are watts.
Generally agree with regard to the pedaling aspect.

But I feel that it is much easier to be lazy on pavement, inactive core and letting your mind wander. Once you hit gravel and the bike starts moving, there is a bit of a natural tendency to tense up to control everything. But really, it is better to be more relaxed through the bike, but more active in the core.

There's an old saying "wear clothes, don't let the clothes wear you." I feel like the mental challenge with gravel is "ride the gravel, don't let the gravel ride you."
Old 05-27-2021, 08:53 AM

The appropriate comparison should be time and power, not distance and elevation. But beyond that, the bumpier the surface, the more the ride is going to engage the body from the waist up. So yes, mountain biking is going to be a better all-around workout than gravel riding, which is going to be a better all-around workout than road riding, which is going to be a better all-around workout than walking.

But all of these are pretty bad all around workouts. I'm looking to strengthen my arms or core, 30 minutes in the gym is going to do more than 3 hours of gravel riding.