Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Made in Belgium

What's with the "forum friendly" prices?

This is not a rant. Just trying to get your input as to why it is so hard to sell stuff these days.

Personally I have had no luck selling parts lately on the forums. Even new parts with a good - or do I think - discount from new and I include shipping of course. I also see a lot of great frames in excellent condition that linger in the classifieds for weeks or months and the seller almost has to give it away in the end after a dozen bumps. If you have a brand new in box CK headset you will probably sell it fast if you make it at $70 shipped otherwise good luck. I remember a few months ago it wasn't so tough.

So what's your take? Market in its softest spot right now? We already spent all our hard earned money earlier this Spring? Nobody gives a damn when it comes from Canada?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
This is not a rant. Just trying to get your input as to why it is so hard to sell stuff these days.

Personally I have had no luck selling parts lately on the forums. Even new parts with a good - or do I think - discount from new and I include shipping of course. I also see a lot of great frames in excellent condition that linger in the classifieds for weeks or months and the seller almost has to give it away in the end after a dozen bumps. If you have a brand new in box CK headset you will probably sell it fast if you make it at $70 shipped otherwise good luck. I remember a few months ago it wasn't so tough.

So what's your take? Market in its softest spot right now? We already spent all our hard earned money earlier this Spring? Nobody gives a damn when it comes from Canada?
Not a from Canada problem. I think most folks have made their spring purchases to get ready for spring and the market is soft. It will pick up again, it always does every year during the latter part of winter.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM

I blame all you short people when I'm trying to downsize my frames in a 58cm top tube.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Not a from Canada problem. I think most folks have made their spring purchases to get ready for spring and the market is soft. It will pick up again, it always does every year during the latter part of winter.
Couldn't agree more. I purchased a lot in the winter for Spring builds (and mostly out of boredom from not riding). I'm currently not in the market for much since I am still testing out the builds to see how they feel (both mechanically and comfort-wise).

My Spring-Summer spending is usually on cruise control anyway and mostly out of necessity, due to failures, crashes, wearing out, etc..

Plus, I need ~53cm top tube, 165mm cranks, 38-40cm handlebars, you get the picture, I'm short, .. and as we've already seen with many threads about the height average here....you mofos are TALL!

Last edited by chengher87; 04-26-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM

I think in general more people who are into bikes enough to find their way to bike forums are in N-1 mode than N+1 mode. As an indicator, look at the ratio of new bikes to recycled bikes in the galleries.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:16 AM

This always happens after long Armstrong threads in GD. Armstrong fans say screw the forum and take a break but they always come back. I don't blame them.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Ultegra 6800 and Ribble.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Bike Geek

Spring cleaning?

Perhaps people are trying to sell rather than buy in this season.

Just a hunch.

And the market seems flooded with selling aka buyer's market.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:20 AM
The B!

As a purchaser of used parts, I'm totally OK with this situation.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Classics Fan

I don't spend much time over there in the classifieds, but I have serious concerns about the strength of the economy in general... this (cutting back on superfluous bicycle builds) may be a manifestation of people's uncertainty about the future.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 AM
PezTech

hmmm...

The last 3 things I sold sold in hours.

One of em wasn't even in the sale section.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
Ultegra 6800 and Ribble.
There's some truth in this. When I'm in the market I look in the classifieds then cross check prices on ribble, shiny, merlin, etc. if the classifieds price isn't competitive I make an offer. Many times that offer isn't accepted so I buy from across the pond.

Sellers need to make sure their prices are competitive. Many times I see used group prices rivaling new prices from these online shops.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Talking

I agree that most have probably bought what they need for the season and focusing on riding now but there is always a buyer for something, just be patient.

As an aside I have something I need to buy.

Wanted: dignity. Recently discovered I have lost this whilst wearing my racing kit and looking like the stay puff marshmallow man. Will entertain all offers.

Happy Saturday! Time to go ride!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
There's some truth in this. When I'm in the market I look in the classifieds then cross check prices on ribble, shiny, merlin, etc. if the classifieds price isn't competitive I make an offer. Many times that offer isn't accepted so I buy from across the pond.

Sellers need to make sure their prices are competitive. Many times I see used group prices rivaling new prices from these online shops.
And, it would be nice once you make an offer you get a reply back from the seller. Twice I have made a reasonable offer and was willing to pay more. However did not received a reply back on the first offer.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I don't spend much time over there in the classifieds, but I have serious concerns about the strength of the economy in general... this (cutting back on superfluous bicycle builds) may be a manifestation of people's uncertainty about the future.
^^^ this. I think there is no way that the stock markets will repeat the run up of prices from last year. I am putting more into savings and anticipating slow growth for the next two years and trying to be happy with the current dozen bikes.