Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2023, 04:49 PM

Putting fenders on a rim-brake Allez

Is anyone doing this? I bought this bike in the spring thinking it should be pretty easy to get fenders on it since it claims to fit 28s and has mounts. When the bike came I was a bit surprised at how tight the the clearance seemed, but with the winter at hand I would like to get some fenders on it. For those who have attempted this, how did it work out? It looks like it might be tight even with 23s. A bit disappointing if so, and I’m wondering if I need to bite the bullet, sell it and get the newer disc-brake model. Thoughts appreciated. Thnx
Old 11-23-2023, 05:04 PM
Meh

SKS Raceblades will work and I used to run them on a 2012 era Trek with worse clearances than that.

They don’t look good, but they get the job done, mostly. They are not quite as protective as full fenders because of the gaps around the brake mount areas, but they will protect your face, butt, and drivetrain.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:42 PM

Thanks EB. Yeah, that may be the option. I don’t live them visually, but they do seem to work.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM

I've used fenders on an older (2015-ish?) specialized allez and it worked fine. I think I remember using mine with 28's and fenders but I could be wrong there.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:53 PM

You want to use THESE BRACKETS, and follow their instructions on how to split the fenders.

You basically cut each fender so there is no fender material underneath the fork or brake caliper.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:51 AM

Crud Roadracers

I used Crud fenders on my winter/rain bike. They are well designed and simple to mount. They also are rattle free, something I never could achieve with SKS blades. For style points, they can be painted to match too
Old 11-24-2023, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. Some good food for thought here. I may still end up selling it, but it’s probably worth trying a few of these ideas before I decide on that.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
SKS Raceblades will work and I used to run them on a 2012 era Trek with worse clearances than that.

They don’t look good, but they get the job done, mostly. They are not quite as protective as full fenders because of the gaps around the brake mount areas, but they will protect your face, butt, and drivetrain.
I used SKS Raceblade LONGS on a 2012 CAAD10. Worked with a 23 up front and 25 in the back. I ended up NOT using the attachment in front of the fork as it bounced. But overall coverage on the front and rear wheel were quite good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2065.jpg (151.1 KB, 34 views)