Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 AM

OT-Cell phone

I am so clueless...
My cell phone is breaking; sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. I don't want to buy a new cell because:
1) I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a new cell
and
2) to get a better priced new cell phone, you have to sign a new 1 or 2 year contract.

I absolutely REFUSE to extend my contract with Verizon. They are horrible on customer service and actually HORRIBLE is an understatement. I've been a customer with them since 2000 and at the end of this contract, I seriously doubt I'd take another one (with them.)

I was told I could get a used cell on e-bay, however, I have never used e-bay. The phone has to be a Verizon phone to be compatible. According to "Bradley" in customer service, it has to say E911 or GPS (? ?) to be just that. I'm clueless when I look at all the photos of used Verizon cells since my cell is as old as the hills. As long as it is compatible, I can go online and activate it at no charge and no upgrades (new contracts). Help! The prices I see online are great, but how do you know what cell to buy and how do I go about it?
Thank you in advance.
RA
Old 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM

"Bradley" is right you do need a phone that is made to work with Verizon. There are 2 types of cell technologies out there, GSM and CDMA. Verizon uses cdma but so does Sprint. The only bad thing is you can't buy a Sprint phone and have it work with Verizon. When you search on Ebay look for pones that state that they are cdma and Verizon compatible if it says other networks don't take the risk that it will work.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:26 AM

ebay.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:28 AM

I second the eBay route. You should be able to find a refurbished one for cheap. Make sure it's for the Verizon network.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks Ligero, that information is good to know. Yes, I want to do E-bay, but never done it. In fact, today was probably the second time I've ever looked at the site.
C.l.u.e.l.e.s.s. RA
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
catulle

Old 12-21-2006, 09:36 AM

I have been using a Trac Phone

I don't talk on the cell very much. It is great not having a contract and it seems to work everywhere. depending on the phone it could use Verizon or Cingular networks.

Delbert McClinton
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catulle
That's me, alright. The cell won't charge with the charger in my home, but only with the charger in my Jeep and ONLY if I hold the cord in the cell a certain angle. Oh, and then it works...sometimes.
RA
Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 AM

Here is a few links to show how great Verizon customer service is. the you tube link is long but is incredible that they could be that stupid.
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 AM

I don't recall anyone having problems with the "bag-phones" They shoulda kept that one around!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligero
Here is a few links to show how great Verizon customer service is. the you tube link is long but is incredible that they could be that stupid.
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q
Thanks Ligero, it looks like I'm not the only one having a nightmare of a time with Verizon. I'm self-employed, if I EVER had an employee treat a customer the way I've been treated by Verizon, they'd BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY! That company is the worst I've dealt with, nobody wants to help unless it is their specific job and in the written dialogue they recite. I've been in a tangled explosive nightmare with them since August. IF you are able to persuade a rep to connect you to a supervisor (I actually had one call where the rep and I were screaming at each other because I was told "no" I couldn't :argue: ), the supervisor's pass off your complaints to somebody under them and then won't take calls when the incompetent under them doesn't do their job either. I've lost sleep from being so upset because I couldn't get anybody competent to assist me. Every month when the bill comes, I get a knot in my stomach. At first, it turned out (after many, many calls) that I had TWO account numbers, but was told, "Sorry, not my job, can't help you. You'll have to call back." Their customer service commercials make me want to puke; incompetent idiots.

Hmmm...I think this irks me, eh.

Last edited by RABikes2; 12-21-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Still searching

Verizon is one of the "better" companies out there...you want a nightmare try using Sprint for a while. Sprint has been working diligently to change their image esp when they ranked consistently at the worst C/S company in polls...at least Verizon reps speak english as their first language!

I'm not defending Verizon (even though they are my current provider) either. Actually, this weekend I will probably migrate over to Cingular (rumored to change names back to ATT?) due to Cingulars wider selection in business phones.

So basically, yea it sucks...but it could be MUCH WORSE! Good luck.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
You still here?

RA: What sort of features do you need in a cell? Doesn't Verizon sell something like a 'basic phone' without a lot of the follderoll that you can buy for relatively cheap?

If you can't get what you want, I have a Verizon LG UX6000 phone that I no longer use, yours for the postage. you would have to have it activated and buy a charger for.

Let me know if this is something you can use.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 AM

Dave, looking for a used one. From what I understand, any new cell phone will cost more than I want to spend that is unless I take a new (upgraded) contract with them. If I take a new contract , then the phone is either free or at a much discounted amount. I'll be happy to buy Dave; I'll pm. Thank you!
RA

Last edited by RABikes2; 12-21-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Maybe it just needs a new battery

I have one of the basic Verizon models ( lg vx3200 ). It was having trouble holding a charge, was difficult to recharge, etc. I just went on the internet and ordered a new after-market battery ( I think for $22 ) and now my phone works fine. Just saying.