Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2023, 07:08 PM

mostly OT: puffer jacket rec?

I generally appreciate the fashion sense and love for quality I've seen in recent threads, so have to ask. I'm in need of a moderately lightweight but very warm down jacket to wear on its own and as a layer under shell.

Had a great 900 fill jacket from Eddie Bauer that I ripped open on a gate latch (oh the horror). Could repair but for approx original cost of jacket. Would just buy another but it's no longer made.

So I laid down a pretty penny for a Feathered Friends Eos and received the wrong color. No problem I think. Asked them for a shipping label to return, they said no, that I just ordered wrong. So I'll ship back on my dime, but won't buy again based on dismissive customer service for a not-at-all-cheap jacket.

So - does anyone have a brand they can recommend? Tallish, slimmish, very warm, not very bulk would be ideal. Thanks in advance,

Seth
Old 01-12-2023, 07:16 PM

If you are open to not-down both the patagonia nano puff and micro puff are great

I have both one hooded and none not hooded and the not hooded I find better for riding. Both are less fussy than my down one.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 PM

Thanks! I shouldve said (and why I said mostly OT) that I'm not needing it primarlily for riding. Hiking, skiing, not freezing on my way to work in the morning. The Patagonia stuff is nice but a little short based on previous experience (though haven't tried again lately).
Old 01-12-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
I generally appreciate the fashion sense and love for quality I've seen in recent threads, so have to ask. I'm in need of a moderately lightweight but very warm down jacket to wear on its own and as a layer under shell.

Had a great 900 fill jacket from Eddie Bauer that I ripped open on a gate latch (oh the horror). Could repair but for approx original cost of jacket. Would just buy another but it's no longer made.

So I laid down a pretty penny for a Feathered Friends Eos and received the wrong color. No problem I think. Asked them for a shipping label to return, they said no, that I just ordered wrong. So I'll ship back on my dime, but won't buy again based on dismissive customer service for a not-at-all-cheap jacket.

So - does anyone have a brand they can recommend? Tallish, slimmish, very warm, not very bulk would be ideal. Thanks in advance,

Seth
Lame

Feathered Friends makes stellar products.

This is pretty great and I just took it off. You should be fine with the length on this vs Patagonia (which I own a ton of and used to sell) It may not be the warmest or lightest but it does the trick for a reg. jacket for me.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/...-down-jackets/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 7.27.30 PM.jpg (14.3 KB, 368 views)
Old 01-12-2023, 08:34 PM

Puffer jacket - try the new Ibex which is wool-based

Highly recommend the new IBEX "Wool Aire" series...different from their old puffers, slightly slimmer/less bulk than their prior iterations (which were down +_ wool, I think...this is some variation on merino) but I am a big fan.

It is not as "instant warm" as a old school down puffer, but I find that the lofty merino insulation allows for a more streamlined fit that can fit under a waterproof shell if need be - or works just fine over a light sweater down to the 20s/30s.

The fact that the insulation is merino (vs. down) is also a plus in my book for my sort of climes (four season including wet cold stuff in the mountains).

Good luck!

m_b
Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 PM

I really like my Rapha explore down.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanisinallofus View Post
I have both one hooded and none not hooded and the not hooded I find better for riding. Both are less fussy than my down one.
I have a Patagucci Nano Puff and it’s a great bikepacking jacket, but I don’t find it particularly warm. Great for 40* by the campfire. But definitely not a winter jacket, IMO.

I have a slightly heavier Marmot puffer that’s much warmer. Forget the model.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:40 PM

I love you mt. Hardware down jacket. Very warm and supper light weight.
I buy these in the spring/summer off eBay or other sites for really cheap.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:42 PM

Western Mountaineering.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:53 PM
Descent fitness

Maybe helpful:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...st-down-jacket
Old 01-12-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Western Mountaineering.
Premium stuff and super light which may not be a great choice for everyday. Insane under a shell though. I lost one with a pile of gear in Boulder one night 35 years ago. They stole so much stuff from my truck but we were young and stupid.

Life
Old 01-12-2023, 09:10 PM

I vote for duck tape your current jacket.

Or I am always cold so I love these super warm marmot jackets.

https://www.marmot.eu/men/jackets/in...115095161.html

I am on my second after my coworkers expressed embarrassment at the six year old jacket that is 5% duck tape

I’ll even use it on the bike when it’s super cold and I want to have a quick spin

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a5e...AUWaEQOJJlkoEw

Last edited by markie; 01-12-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:17 PM

Veilance has less outdoorsy urban wear that has longer bodies.

Or its related company arcteryx is another good option.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:29 PM

I'm not sure what a puffer jacket is, but I just read in the New York Post that Goldman Sachs analysts wear the Canada Goose brand.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/shell-...emolition-day/

Quote:
Fired Goldman Sachs workers stumbled out in a daze from the firm’s Manhattan headquarters Wednesday as CEO David Solomon brought down the ax on thousands of employees.

One group of analysts — all of them clad in high-end Canada Goose puffer coats — refused to answer a Post reporter’s questions before the shell-shocked troupe scurried away from the glass skyscraper at 200 West St…
Old 01-12-2023, 09:39 PM

Montbell produces excellent down gear and has great customer support. https://www.montbell.us/products/lis...en_cd=1&sort=N