Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2023, 12:34 PM

OT: anyone have an esophageal ph (bravo) test?

Been having Gerd issues for over a year. Max doses of meds don’t seem to help
Bravo test is scheduled for this Wednesday and hopefully results will be beneficial in diagnosis.
Appreciate any feedback/info
Thanks
Old 01-16-2023, 12:37 PM
commuter racer

No but I wound up with chronic Gerd the day after taking antibiotics. I got food poisoning in Mexico and haven't been the same since. In my case stress makes it worse along with alcohol and eating close to bed and acidic spicy foods like salsa. I'm curious to learn more about this test and why one would take it.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:58 PM

Not related to OPs issue, but directed to Shino: some antibiotics can damage the esophageal mucosa, potentially causing an ulceration, so you may not be having GERD.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:52 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
Not related to OPs issue, but directed to Shino: some antibiotics can damage the esophageal mucosa, potentially causing an ulceration, so you may not be having GERD.
Thanks for the info. I wound up being diagnosed with with a hiatal hernia not long after this started ( 8 years ago). It may have been there before, I'm not certain. All I know is the antibiotics wrecked me, and the horrible reflux stared like the next day after I took them. My gut microbiome was probably altered too which I don't think ever recovered. I was just chatting with a scientist relative in Boston who told me that some things just don't come back after antibiotics.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Not that one but I did have the colonoscopy gig, but down the throat as I've had reflux(night time "death dance"...puke a little, wake up gasping and choking..scary to say the least)..Doc said I had a 'weak epiglottis'...Rx strength Nexium fixed it for me(and no gigantic dinners right before bed).
Old 01-17-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
No but I wound up with chronic Gerd the day after taking antibiotics. I got food poisoning in Mexico and haven't been the same since. In my case stress makes it worse along with alcohol and eating close to bed and acidic spicy foods like salsa. I'm curious to learn more about this test and why one would take it.
Same but from a burned esophagus. Also interested to hear about this.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:43 PM

I've had the Bravo test. It went without issue. Not sure the point after it was over. Doc said, "yep you've got GERD, here are your options" which were the same options I had before I took the test and what I'd already tried exhaustively for 5 years before the test when I was originally told I had reflux. I have a weak esophageal sphincter. I haven't smoked, consumed alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, red meat in 20 years. I avoid all acidic food triggers as well as nut oil and dairy. Nothing helps with the exception of not eating around 6 hours before bed and using a sleeping wedge when I sleep to elevate my upper body from my stomach. I'd stopped riding drop bars because I'd have reflux just riding a bike although recently find I'm able to use them again. I've pretty much given up on finding any real relief or return to a normal life pre GERD, but that's just my experience. Apologies for the negativity. I think the Bravo test is a prerequisite if you are considering having the surgical procedures to reduce GERD.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:47 PM
aka RAEKWON

surprised doc doesn't want to just do an endoscopy.

endoscopy and colonoscopies are really not bad anymore. The prep of the colonoscopy sucks but the endoscopy is basically just fast.

Go to sleep, take a nice long nap, wake up feeling great.

But I guess doc thinks he/she know what it is so does not want to do something so envasive.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumin8em View Post
I've had the Bravo test. It went without issue. Not sure the point after it was over. Doc said, "yep you've got GERD, here are your options" which were the same options I had before I took the test and what I'd already tried exhaustively for 5 years before the test when I was originally told I had reflux. I have a weak esophageal sphincter. I haven't smoked, consumed alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, red meat in 20 years. I avoid all acidic food triggers as well as nut oil and dairy. Nothing helps with the exception of not eating around 6 hours before bed and using a sleeping wedge when I sleep to elevate my upper body from my stomach. I'd stopped riding drop bars because I'd have reflux just riding a bike although recently find I'm able to use them again. I've pretty much given up on finding any real relief or return to a normal life pre GERD, but that's just my experience. Apologies for the negativity. I think the Bravo test is a prerequisite if you are considering having the surgical procedures to reduce GERD.
Thanks for your reply and experience
At this point I’ll opt for surgery if bravo confirms. I think it’s probably prerequisite for surgery per insurance??