Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM

OT - Microsoft Office

Other than cost difference (month vs. one-time) does anybody have an opinion regarding ONE installation of Office 365 verses stand alone version?
Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Classics Fan

Philosophically, I don't like the idea of a subscription service for this type of product. A monthly subscription model does more to smooth MSFT's earnings than providing a real value to its customers.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Philosophically, I don't like the idea of a subscription service for this type of product. A monthly subscription model does more to smooth MSFT's earnings than providing a real value to its customers.
This.*

*see Adobe's craptastic current business model.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Agree. Just a bit worried the stand-alone was somehow compromised to get you do the monthly pay version.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Better yet, buy WordPerfect. It works a lot better and is a much more stable software suite.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM

I have used both, and my office is now migrating to Office 365. I've used Office 365 on my personal PC for a while now. The main benefits to the subscription model is that you will always have the most up-to-date versions, and you will have access to mobile versions to use on an iPad, iPhone or other personal device. The cost of a subscription, when compared with the cost of a one-time license, also may be a bit easier to swallow. As to the cost of a one-time license vs. the cost of yearly subscription, I'm not sure there is much difference once you factor in the useful life of the licensed software and the cost of replacement software you likely will want in a couple years' time.

I don't disagree that this is a licensing model that MS has adopted to create an ongoing and dependable revenue stream.

I may have a copy of Office 2012(?) that I no longer use laying around the house if you're interested!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Better yet, buy WordPerfect. It works a lot better and is a much more stable software suite.
or use google docs or download Open Office.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:12 PM

As the previous poster said... get open office and work with google docs aswell.

Free stuff that works and is maybe 1/3 of the size of office. Honestly never been so fun of MS office because every year was getting bigger and bigger w/o any sense because pretty much been doing the same stuff than ever does. That is like way more stuff than we actually need and if you need to edit a document in large scale like a magazine does, there's actually other software for that.

My wife was offered a corp license of office through out her job for 15 bucks, I can pay 15 bucks... but like 250 no way.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Any problem converting between google docs and word?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Open office for me... no issues swapping between docs at work and at home.... unless I were doing full time work with it, I don't think I'd use anything but open office....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

Generally speaking translations of format are really accurate lately, the other thing is that the systems are well made to the point that if you dont have support for a format just move the dll to the right folder and the conversion is right there added (old tricks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madencbm View Post
Any problem converting between google docs and word?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 PM

Office vs other things, depends what you are going to do with it. Heavy business user?, just go with Office. Personal use with occasional business use?, there are other options.

Subscription vs purchase, depends how often you might update which is likely dependent on what you are going to do with it (see above). If you are going to be doing a lot of business with the suite go with the subscription so that you have the most up to date version. If it is personal use there isn't a need to update very often. My home computer has a version that is several years old. For the most part it is not an issue. But we do occasionally get a doc that it can not open because it is so old.

BTW - I am not an MS Office fan but because 99% of business documents originate with it, it is the way of the world.

Last edited by bewheels; 12-29-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM

There's no reason to choose. Go with office 365 and you get he desktop versions for up to 5 machines included for free.

Don't have to use the online versions unless you want to and docs stored in their cloud, OneDrive, can be opened in desktop with a button push.

You'll always have up to date versions which is valuable for security. And if you do any real spreadsheets or presentations, you'll want MSFT. The free stuff is worth what you pay for it.

Also if you ever work with 3rd party business apps, their plugins will work with the desktop versions. Can't say that about free stuff or even google.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
That was true around 1995
Old 12-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Just remember that once you start a subscription, that you NEVER get to stop and keep the software. Like the Adobe CreativeSuite, it will stop functioning once you stop sending them money. It's not cheaper—consider it like leasing a car. You pay them, they let you keep the car. You stop, they take it away. It costs a lot more in the long run unless you are obsessed with having the latest and greatest software on the market—which for word processors and spreadsheets is pointless. Most people I know haven't updated Office in the last 5 years, if that.

And for Adobe users, that means that you can no longer open any of the files you created with the "leased" software. They will do everything in their power to change the rules to suit themselves and their shareholders, raise the rates without notice, and even updating software to obsolete their own previous versions to force you to upgrade.

Just be aware of what you are starting when you get into a subscription-based software contract.

Frankly, I hate the business model. It's not made for you to come out aheaad, it's made for the company to make lots of money. Personally, I want to own my car, my bike, my computer and my software, but that's just me.