Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Back At It!

Sonoma/Marin County Hydro-Mechanically inclined

As I contemplate picking up an Ibis Hakka MX (and also cross-shopping a Black Mountain Mod Zero, I know, weird), I will need to transfer all the parts from my current Giant Revolt.. while I'm pretty good with most bike mechanic stuff, I have no idea how to do disc brakes.. and I should learn for sure..

So, is there anyone who is in Sonoma or Marin County that would want to show me how to hydros when the time comes?

Last edited by fourflys; 02-14-2024 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:57 PM

Not from the area but if your mechanically inclined with the bikes then you will be able to do the fill and bleed procedure with the appropriate YT videos that are out there now. As long as you have the proper bleed kits its not to bad a job. I have only done a few now with Campy and Sram and feel like its pretty easy. The Sram bleed kit is nice and easy to use so I would suggest getting the Sram kit if thats what you will be working on. Cant speak to Shimano as havent done one yet but they say its the easier than Campy and Sram.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:59 PM
Meh

FWIW, if you're middling-to-decent on other bike building stuff, you can easily teach yourself hydraulic brake work with Youtube videos. You will need a few new tools and some bleed kits and such, but it's really not hard. I personally find working with Shimano, and other mineral oil based systems, a little easier than SRAM (or other DOT fluid systems), but YMMV. 90% of the work is just remembering what order to do things in and not leaving out any steps.

I will say the task that probably takes the most practice to become good at it is actually routing, measuring, and cutting the hoses on new builds (or on the occasional hose replacement).
Old 02-14-2024, 07:04 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
FWIW, if you're middling-to-decent on other bike building stuff, you can easily teach yourself hydraulic brake work with Youtube videos. You will need a few new tools and some bleed kits and such, but it's really not hard. I personally find working with Shimano, and other mineral oil based systems, a little easier than SRAM (or other DOT fluid systems), but YMMV. 90% of the work is just remembering what order to do things in and not leaving out any steps.

I will say the task that probably takes the most practice to become good at it is actually routing, measuring, and cutting the hoses on new builds (or on the occasional hose replacement).
agree, I'm sure I could do it, just would be a little more comfortable having someone with me the first time.. esp on if I need to cut hoses, etc..

thanks to both of you that replied so far!
Old 02-14-2024, 07:25 PM

The other thing I'll add is having the correct tools. I spent more than I should, but I bought the Park bleed kit, which can do about anything, and the Shimano tool for cutting cable and setting barbs.

The newest Shimano brakes are really easy to work with--I was in your shoes before I bought my last bike, and I learned while building. Agree with folks on youtube, but I also read a lot of Dave Rome's stuff on Escape Collective.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:39 PM

If you want to bring it to in Contra Costa County, I can help.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:41 PM
Administrator

I wholly endorse this type of reaching out and members helping members community vibe.

If you're in the area and can help, why not. Meet another bike pal, have a conversation. Make a friend. win win win.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:42 PM

two points

1. you can easily cut tubing with a utility knife.
2. you can easily set barbs with the tubing placed and held in yellow blocks that are held vise grips and pounding the barbs in with a rubber mallet.

https://planetcyclery.com/shimano-tl...kaAqJoEALw_wcB

Last edited by eddief; 02-14-2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
If you want to bring it to in Contra Costa County, I can help.
Thanks Dan, I might take you up on that depending..

I'm not afraid to drive a little!
Old 02-14-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
As I contemplate picking up an Ibis Hakka MX (and also cross-shopping a Black Mountain Mod Zero, I know, weird), I will need to transfer all the parts from my current Giant Revolt.. while I'm pretty good with most bike mechanic stuff, I have no idea how to do disc brakes.. and I should learn for sure..

So, is there anyone who is in Sonoma or Marin County that would want to show me how to hydros when the time comes?
Like others mentioned, its a fairly easy process with some basic tools - Main things worth buying from a bike shop is:
  • Mineral Oil
  • A bike stand to easily maneuver the bike (Most folks that work on their bikes already have one)
  • Bleed blocks
  • Oil reservoir
  • Needle injector (el cheapo uncle jeff option)

All the other stuff you can kinda cobble together using random tubes and injectors from the hardware store for fractions of the price of park tool. That way if bleeding is something you see yourself doing longer term you can invest in what makes the job easy...and if you hate the process you aren't down a hundred or so dollars.

If you find yourself in the east bay near Blue Heron bike shop in need of a bleed though, let me know...
Old 02-14-2024, 10:35 PM

My wife and I are considering moving to Sonoma County, specifically Sebastopol and if the timing works out I'd definitely help out. Though we are also looking at SLO county. Either way if you need to borrow any tools, let me know.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:45 PM

I found the barbs go in the hose pretty easy without the tool and at least not as difficult as the industrial pneumatic hose I have had to force barb fittings into before. I have also used a heat gun to straighten out Campy hose after it was pulled out of a set of handlebars. I wasnt sure it was going to work but the hose wasnt distorted after the heat applied to it.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:13 PM

If you don't find any Paceliners and don't want to head over to Contra Costa County, maybe reach out to Mike Varley himself? I mean, I'm sure he can do the work. I don't know if he'd be willing to coach you through it at those same labor rates.