Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 05:20 PM

Any news on updated, semi-wireless shimano GRX di2, 12-speed?

Given that the Ultegra/DA Di2 groups have long since moved onto 12 speed and semi-wireless (no front wires/junction), wondering if anyone has seen or heard of anything for the same but GRX.

Have been looking, but little luck...
Old 08-30-2023, 05:27 PM

It’s been spotted out in the wild. I think Escape Collective had a pic of it in their Unbound coverage, iirc.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
It’s been spotted out in the wild. I think Escape Collective had a pic of it in their Unbound coverage, iirc.
Incorrect. You are thinking about the yet to be released mechanical 12 speed GRX. There are already part numbers floating around, and complete bikes listed with this groupset, however, there has been zero details about GRX Di2 thus far.

It'll be coming, but a late 2024 release is the speculation that I've seen from industry folks.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
Incorrect. You are thinking about the yet to be released mechanical 12 speed GRX. There are already part numbers floating around, and complete bikes listed with this groupset, however, there has been zero details about GRX Di2 thus far.

It'll be coming, but a late 2024 release is the speculation that I've seen from industry folks.
Wow, did I buy an Ekar set too soon… love my Grx 11 speed
Old 08-31-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:

Yes, you're right. That's what I was thinking of.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:28 AM

There's an embargo supposed to be lifting today. Likely just the mechanical we've already seen leaked.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

So for some of you 'insiders(not me no more), why is shimano di2 'semi wireless'??

I will bet they have the tech and $ to make their system pure wireless, why opt for hard wired derailleurs? All the kerfuffle was about the 'ease of installation' of etap, even tho very, very few actually installed etap, most came on built bikes.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:50 AM
Two wheels good

I've always hated that people call Di2 wireless. It's cableless. Either give me cables or give me true wireless but battery or control wires can bite me.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the Zero details thus far...
Old 08-31-2023, 06:56 AM

The challenge for Shimano re: wireless is that SRAM has the patent for placing an identical battery that is removable to each derailleur. Campagnolo innovated around this by designing two different batteries (one front, one rear) and an ability to charge the batteries while connected to the derailleurs.

Given the lengths Campy went to in order to get around the SRAM patent, I cannot imagine how Shimano will find yet another way to get around both Campy and SRAM patents now. We will see.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:21 AM
Forward the Foundation

I'll take Shimano's one big battery, smaller derailleurs choice
over Campys two little battery, bigger derailleurs choice.

If Shimano had gone double battery first, SRAM would be the single big
internal battery, which SRAM would have marketed as far superior.

Internal cables and internal battery please.

In the upcoming Breaking Away remake, the Cinzano rider
steals Daves' rear derailleur battery, instead of putting a Silca
pump in his spokes.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
The challenge for Shimano re: wireless is that SRAM has the patent for placing an identical battery that is removable to each derailleur. Campagnolo innovated around this by designing two different batteries (one front, one rear) and an ability to charge the batteries while connected to the derailleurs.

Given the lengths Campy went to in order to get around the SRAM patent, I cannot imagine how Shimano will find yet another way to get around both Campy and SRAM patents now. We will see.
Its kind of remarkable to me that such a patent exists and is defensible. Given almost all portable tech is powered by the same set of off the shelf rechargeable cells in different shapes/plastic housings. It also suggests that a competitor wouldn't even be able to use something as standard as double AA to power each derailleur. Can't be interchangeable and removable right? Imagine if a major power tool brand tried to patent that "innovation"?
Old 08-31-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Its kind of remarkable to me that such a patent exists and is defensible. Given almost all portable tech is powered by the same set of off the shelf rechargeable cells in different shapes/plastic housings. It also suggests that a competitor wouldn't even be able to use something as standard as double AA to power each derailleur. Can't be interchangeable and removable right? Imagine if a major power tool brand tried to patent that "innovation"?
No doubt.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post

Well, I am skeptical that shimano couldn't some how get around any patents and made their Di2 true wireless. I mean, they are giganto with a whole floor dedicated to their legal staff.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:06 AM

The biggest challenge on my Di2 wired system is getting the wires from the levers cleanly from the bars and into the frame. That was an all-day project that sucked and involved wires under the tape and through the bars and drilling a hole (not where there’s any structural issue - a couple CM from the end of the bar). The electric wire now exits from underneath the tape with the rear brake hose and is sheathed with the brake hose.

The look is clean but having no wires at the controls is the way to go. The rest of the wired system from the battery to the front and rear derailleurs is a significantly smaller PITA but a PITA nonetheless.

For those who question why wireless is dumb because it only matters during installation, well, isn’t that the point?

Yesterday I saw a SRAM Force group on a Time ADHX at a local shop and the guy who set it up said he loves it. It was a very, very clean look.