Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 AM

Anyone checked bikes on Alaska Airlines?

I just booked my flight to California for Eroica in April. Last year I shipped my bike out separately but looking at Alaska Airlines website, they say they waive oversized charges for some sports equipment, including bikes in proper cases.

Round trip shipment for me would be around $110-120 most likely, vs $60 on the airplane. Has anyone done this with Alaska before?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:01 AM

I lived in Anchorage for two years.
The second year they instituted the new bicycle rate.
I flew twice with the lower rate with no problems.
Bikes were delivered intact with no problems.
One time the box was opened by TSA for inspection.
Great airline. Never had a problem with them.
There is a quote in the airline web site, "If your travel includes multiple airlines,Different restrictions may apply".
Old 03-02-2019, 09:16 AM

I flew NY<->LAX a couple weeks ago on Alaska and checked a bike in a full size Trico case. They saw it was a bike without my saying anything about it and just charged the $30 fee. No problems at all. It was pretty great. I have an s&s too But for that trip it was relatively short so very nice to put together and pack my bike in less than 15 minutes.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 AM
You still here?

A friend of ours just flew from Seattle to Cabo San Lucas to visit us with her complete bike properly boxed for less than $100. TSA inspected the box and resealed it. Everything was in fine shape when it arrived.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Hello,

I flew from San Francisco to Palm Springs yesterday via Alaska Airlines.

These are my cost from both methods and I use a EVOC case.

1. Check bike with Alaska Airline, it will cost me $50.
2. Ship bike with Bike Flight will cost me $100 with insurance.

I picked Bike Flight for the following reasons.
1. Door to door service from Bike Flight. You have to work with timing.
2. Avoid a riding a van into the airport, both trips.
3. I included my golf clubs (8 clubs & Sunday bag) in the EVOC case and concern about the weight limit from flying.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I just booked my flight to California for Eroica in April. Last year I shipped my bike out separately but looking at Alaska Airlines website, they say they waive oversized charges for some sports equipment, including bikes in proper cases.

Round trip shipment for me would be around $110-120 most likely, vs $60 on the airplane. Has anyone done this with Alaska before?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Hugh, I usually ship directly to the hotel/Air BnB via BF and have it picked up there by FedEx/BF for the return. Round trip to CA is around $150 and it also means I can rent a smaller car-no need to haul around the EVOC case. So there are some rental savings and some convenience, overall I think it's worth it. I also scrimp on BF insuranceand consider myself mostly self-insured in theevnt anything is damaged.

But at least once a year, due to scheduling or (like Coppi) staying somewhere I can't ship to in advance, I'll take it on the plane. Here's where advance planning helps: buy American tickets using AA branded credit card, so no charge on checked bag with shoes, helmet, tire pump, tools, etc. Then pay for bike charge using AmEx Platinum, which gives me a $200 airline fee credit each year (I designate AA in January). Total bike round trip charge goes down to $100, although I have to horse the EVOC bag to the rental car location and schlep it to Hollandale. But it's worth some thought...

Last edited by rccardr; 03-02-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone. Good to know they honor that policy. I have considered that there is some value in not having to manhandle the case through the airport and onto the rental car bus.

Doc, I know you are the man with the bike travel plan. I’m flying in/out of LA, spending a couple of days with my son, so let me know if you go that route and want a car share. One of the reasons I’m tempted to travel with bike is to get a ride in LA.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:26 PM

SL, I'm flying into SFO and staying with friends for the night in San Jose before driving south. Otherwise would be happy to give you a ride.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:52 PM

i flew alaska airlines from NY to Sonoma airport last October. I paid a fee.
Didn't much care for the service while on the plane but check-ins and check-out were professionally handled

Last edited by ColnagoC59; 03-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.