Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Insoles?

Admin feel free to move this to the fit section if needed.

I recently purchased a great fitting pair of shoes - well they were at the time. Now they have become loose at the fore foot. I can feel my feet lifting on the upstroke..Naturally, tighten the shoe would be the first thought..

Unfortunately I have long skinny feet and simply tightening isn't a option. My question is this, does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on a insole that is a bit thicker than the average 4mm insole? I need to take up a bit of space above (or below) the foot.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Classics Fan

They make felt toe pads to take up bit of volume (usually good for evening out fit for 2 slightly different feet), may not be enough for you, but they're cheap -- so could be worth it.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:54 PM

IMO there's a few things that can create that problem, I'm not a fitter ok?.

I had that problem with a few shoes that were way too big, thats the 1st reason. What you can do is to buy thick mole skin pads and put them inside of the step and then tight the shoe.

Second reason, the pedals, or fhe position of the cleats which can resume as bad fit. I've been riding larger shoes and the only pedal which doesnt do what you are talking about is Keywin.

I would shim the shoe and see if that fix it, revisit your fit aswell, the other thing it and it happens too, bad pedaling technique. If you dont pedal rounded but kinda squared the foot will get off the insole creating what you are taking about.

TO shim under the insole you can get some cork sheet, is like 2 mm thick, cut it and put it under the insole, specialized insoles are in the thick side aswell. I would shim the shoe with mole skin 1st tho.

IM not a fitter ok? Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Specialized makes some decent footbeds with various arch heights. I understand you like your new shoes, but the answer to my narrow feet was Giro Empire ACC shoes. With laces, it is pretty easy to snug up where you need your feet to be snug and they seem to fit my narrow feet pretty well. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 PM

My experience and a good link

Read this article:

http://biketestreviews.com/the-best-...insole-part-i/

I have narrow feet and similar issues. Specialized are ok but I have had the best success with eSole eFit which are now discontinued.

You should read Steve Hogg's blog. He recommends G8 which are from Australia but you can buy in the US at the link below.

https://fitkitsystems.com/product/cu...soles-g8-2620/

I have not tried them but you may want to give them a try.

Others I have used include Icebug slim and Sole moldable. My friends like the Icebugs but I didn't as they were painful for me.

I would try the G8s but your call. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Depending on your shoe size I may be able to lend some to try.

Alan
Old 08-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Just take another pair of insoles and cut off only the section from the ball of the foot forward, and add that to your shoe. You can glue it to your existing insole if you have to, but in my experience, they don't move.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Specialized are a good start. Since you have a couple ski shops in Atlanta, you could ask for some bontex shims. They come in three thicknesses.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 AM

Thanks for everyones help. The shoes are Giro Factor Techlace, really wish the whole shoe had the boa system. No matter how much I pull on the tech lace they dont get tight enough.

Looking into other insoles
Old 08-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Just take another pair of insoles and cut off only the section from the ball of the foot forward, and add that to your shoe. You can glue it to your existing insole if you have to, but in my experience, they don't move.
Start here....cheap at any drug or grocery store. Dr Scholl's counter. Just take up some shoe space. They come in different thicknesses.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Start here....cheap at any drug or grocery store. Dr Scholl's counter. Just take up some shoe space. They come in different thicknesses.
Yes I think that's a perfect start
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Administrator

i like "superfeet" insoles in certain pairs of shoes, but most of them are higher volume and wont work for some in cycling shoes, so they may be perfect for your application.

dont know where you are geographically, but many big box athletic stores like Dicks carry them on the floor. they would definitely have no problem with you coming in with your cycling shoes and test fitting a few different insoles and seeing how they feel volume wise. they're good quality too and last.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i like "superfeet" insoles in certain pairs of shoes, but most of them are higher volume and wont work for some in cycling shoes, so they may be perfect for your application.

dont know where you are geographically, but many big box athletic stores like Dicks carry them on the floor. they would definitely have no problem with you coming in with your cycling shoes and test fitting a few different insoles and seeing how they feel volume wise. they're good quality too and last.
There is a Dicks local to me, great idea. Thanks
Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM

I was having the same problem with my Sidi Shots and became mortified that I got a size too big, and riding in them rendered them unexchangeable. I threw in an older pair of Sole insoles I had on hand that run thick, but don't use for cycling since they cause pain in the 5th metatarsal origin. To my relief, they took up enough volume to correct the extra space problem one doesn't want in a high end cycling shoe. I just replaced them with new, moldable Sole "Thick" insoles, and they feel good so far.

For when I really want to go crazy, I'll look into these http://www.solestar.de/en/products/cycling-insoles.html

Last edited by YesNdeed; 08-20-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 PM

I have skinny feet and long toes...Sidis have way too much volume. Have been using Sole Softec insoles, there are different thicknesses.