Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2022, 09:27 PM

Anyone riding with Coefficient handlebars?

Been very happy with my Deda Trentacinque shape and feel. As an hopeless tweaker and experimenter I've been intrigued by articles/reviews about the Coefficient handlebars, particularly the Road Race model with the aero tops and integrated computer mount.

Curious if anyone here has ridden with them and what's you think of them. Thanks.

Last edited by teleguy57; 05-09-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:42 PM

I took the plunge but haven’t finished the build yet…. Pretty excited about them though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2022, 10:45 PM

quite a few in my group...

So,

Quite a few people in my circle are using them. Disclaimer, Rick Sutton rides with us, so... But, AFAIK, he is not offering them at discount to most. I've heard no complaints. One of our more senior patrons put them on his bike last year to help with some wrist pain and he says it has helped.

Jon
Old 05-08-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Been very happy with my Deda Trentacinque shape and feel. As an hopeless tweaker and experimenter I've been intrigued by articles/reviews about the Coefficient handlebars, particularly the R pad Race model with the setup perfume and integrated computer mount.

Curious if anyone here has ridden with them and what's you think of them. Thanks.
I’m same as cabbage above, had a set for a while but haven’t had the chance to install as wanted to get a fit first.

The hand position and ergonomics from holding them on a bare frameset are incredible tho. Not so sure about the computer mount, but will have to report back after installing and getting a ride in.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:37 AM

Thanks, all. I knew there'd be folks here who were willing to try new things.

I mentioned the computer mount, but it's really the hand positions/comfort potential that intrigues me the most.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:57 AM

The ergo position on the tops is interesting especially the gravel bar version which seems less aero.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
...the setup perfume ...
Que?
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM

Has the laysuit between Eyropro and Coefficient been settled yet? Eyropro was claiming that the Coefficient handlebar violated its IP.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Que?
I have no clue -- that doesn't look like what I thought I typed!

Changed it something at least semi-intelligible....
Old 05-09-2022, 12:13 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

And other hand comfort solutions?

Looking at the VID on their site:

https://youtu.be/sc4h_BnA9kk

I find myself wondering [and much as i like how your hands lay on the tops] how folks deem the lack of thumbs hooking around figures in.

Side note: 65 year old hands here, way too much hard work in my hands past... I am that guy that would spend for best long ride neutral impact.

My #1 has old carbon Deda Synapse. They are one piece and have a mini aero loop I am on mostly for multi hour rides.

The fat flats and the loops help these old hand bones...
Old 05-09-2022, 12:38 PM

An occasional riding partner, who rode 15k miles in 2021 and who is a former age group California state time trial champion, uses them on his road bike and loves them.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:23 PM

Is the thinking that having these will change how one places your hands? I'm very rarely on the tops of my bars, and not often in the drops. Does having a pair of these tend to result in more times on the tops?
Old 05-09-2022, 02:28 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Is the thinking that having these will change how one places your hands? I'm very rarely on the tops of my bars, and not often in the drops. Does having a pair of these tend to result in more times on the tops?

I guess being a tops guy, and drops for aggressive stents [less&less]... Well question is will these convert you to a tops rider.

I will ad that having Di2 aux shifting points for the tops positions, well I'd be less of a tops guy without remote shifting points.

But broad surfaces spread pressure points a lot, and the extra Gs of harder hit with a round grip profile concentrates it.

I wonder if my DoMonster Classics is my #1 because of these Deda bars really.

EDIT: I got the Dedas the night before a century. Because last minuted changes are always a good idea before a long ride... In this instance [that one 3 years ago] it paid off in spades.

Ergonomics really only 2nd to fit, maybe 1.2nd to fit...

Last edited by robt57; 05-09-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Remember that there are two different distinct styles of Coefficient bars, the AR and the RR

AR:

RR:

From handling my set of RR bars what I can best discern is:
-The tops of the Coefficient RR are flat to reduce the pressure on the pads of the hands when riding on the tops, and also they are wide enough to provide a very nice wide base for forearms in case you do the "puppy paws" position on the bike for open stretches
-Also, the tops are angled down and in to better match the hands position when on the tops
-As such one might theoretically spend more time in the traditional "tops" position since it's a little more comfy, and same with "puppy paws" position
-If you don't spend much time in the drops then the shaping there won't really affect you that much, however it's really nice if you do. The carve out really locks your thumb in a solid manner, and there's lots of wrist clearance as well
-And at least for me, the shaping at the bend where shifters are mounted creates a very nice hold when in the hoods. Obviously its very hand shape dependent

Really excited to get my set on as the weather finally breaks, now just need to justify another frame to put them on

Last edited by yinzerniner; 05-09-2022 at 02:53 PM. Reason: -added tops angle
Old 05-09-2022, 02:41 PM

I fear I'm slightly missing the point of these. Can someone enlighten me?