Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2024, 10:16 AM

Issues running Ingrid cranks with Carbon-Ti chainrings

Hi folks,

I've run into some compatibility issues with using Carbon-Ti chainrings with Ingrid cranks. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if there is a potential solution.

When in the 48t * 10t (or any of the first 3 cassette rings) combo, the chain is very close to the FD cage where it rubs and makes a noise. If I try to shift the cage out further, it then hits the crank arms.

There aren't many pictures or articles on running these two brands together, but I did find an insta post and it seems to be working for them, so not sure what I could be doing wrong. https://www.instagram.com/p/CgMZFnKO...en&img_index=3

The LBS thinks the chainrings may be "too straight" as most chainrings have a slight concave form, where the chainrings curve back towards the frame (very imperceptibly).

I think everything has been installed correctly and the bike is currently sitting at the LBS who seems to agree it's not an installation issue. I've reached out to Carbon-Ti to get their view but haven't heard back yet. I'm wondering whether these rings might have been manufactured within a set tolerance, but at the outer limits, which give them a diff shape. But I'm just guessing here.

Here are a couple pics. It's quite hard to photograph, but hopefully you can see the issue (I probably should have washed the bike first).
Old 06-04-2024, 10:17 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2024, 10:53 AM

Maybe check to see if your derailleur height is set correctly
Old 06-04-2024, 11:22 AM

Any idea what the chainlink measures?

I'm no expert just keeping this alive for you, mostly.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:25 AM

Tolerance stack. Likely the Ingrids are a tiny bit narrow, as are the Carbon Ti. Installed together, the rings are a few mm too far inboard (at least the outer). Maybe try some washers/shims under the outer ring to space it out a hair.

And the first thing that occurred to me is that is certainly a first world problem.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Tolerance stack. Likely the Ingrids are a tiny bit narrow, as are the Carbon Ti. Installed together, the rings are a few mm too far inboard (at least the outer). Maybe try some washers/shims under the outer ring to space it out a hair.

And the first thing that occurred to me is that is certainly a first world problem.
Spacers behind the chain ring are only going to make the issue worse, the chainring will be closer to the crank arm with spacers. One option may be to use a spacer between the crank arm and spider or alternative spider. What crank spider are you using, can't decipher from your posted pictures? Are you using this Ingrid spider and CRS-R2 cranks?

Last edited by m_sasso; 06-04-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:51 AM

yeah, correct. Didn't look at photos, had it backwards. Maybe a small bb shim behind the spider...
Old 06-04-2024, 12:03 PM

Can you rotate the FD slightly so the tail swings away from the crankarm and still get adequate shift performance?
Old 06-04-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
yeah, correct. Didn't look at photos, had it backwards. Maybe a small bb shim behind the spider...
This may provide enough clearance with the very slight change in angle of the chain, however the distance between the crank arm and the chainring will remain the same just be further out board.

The first thing I would look at and see where you are at is your chain line with the Ingrid cranks, spider and Ti chainring. And then go about solving the problem from there. There is a solution, however you need to asses the problem correctly first.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:32 PM

Is there something wrong with my brain/eyes or are those pedals/crankarms installed in reverse?
Old 06-04-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm no expert just keeping this alive for you, mostly.
Appreciate it! No idea on chainlink sizing, will swing by the LBS and check. It is the SRAM chain, so as narrow as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
What crank spider are you using, can't decipher from your posted pictures? Are you using this Ingrid spider and CRS-R2 cranks?
Yeah, that's right.. I'm using the Ingrid spider and the CRS-R2 cranks. I think they supplied a few spacers, so might try running one in between the crank arm and spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Can you rotate the FD slightly so the tail swings away from the crankarm and still get adequate shift performance?
I think this might be the easiest option, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little shifting performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
Is there something wrong with my brain/eyes or are those pedals/crankarms installed in reverse?
LOL .. you're right.. I was swapping around pedals to see if it could be the cause of a creak (which was the original reason I went to the LBS), and I must have just put them on reverse.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post

Yeah, that's right.. I'm using the Ingrid spider and the CRS-R2 cranks. I think they supplied a few spacers, so might try running one in between the crank arm and spider.
That's your likely solution, however you still need to asses your chain line and confirm it is not to far out of spec. 2-4 mm either way is OK beyond this you will likely find at one end of the cassette you may have a over abundance of cross chaining friction.
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
LOL .. you're right.. I was swapping around pedals to see if it could be the cause of a creak (which was the original reason I went to the LBS), and I must have just put them on reverse.
Should that even be possible? Don't they need to match the threading on the crankarms ie. right pedal can only be installed on the DS and left (left threaded) on NDS? I guess what I'm getting at is: Is it possible that the problem is created by installing the cranks in reverse leading to spacing issues (Not sure if that's possible, I'm not familiar with Ingrid crank construction).
From the pictures on Ingrid website it looks like the chainrings/spider are installed on the spindle and crankarms are installed separately, are they perfectly symmetrical?
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
Should that even be possible? Don't they need to match the threading on the crankarms ie. right pedal can only be installed on the DS and left (left threaded) on NDS? I guess what I'm getting at is: Is it possible that the problem is created by installing the cranks in reverse leading to spacing issues (Not sure if that's possible, I'm not familiar with Ingrid crank construction).
From the pictures on Ingrid website it looks like the chainrings/spider are installed on the spindle and crankarms are installed separately, are they perfectly symmetrical?
I don’t think the threading on the crank arms are set as you’ve described. The pedals were installed the correct way when I was riding last week.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Just a general update on this. The LBS reinstalled the chainrings as they weren’t lining up correctly and also installed a spacer between the crank arm and the spider. The combo has created the necessary space where nothing rubs.

I’ll pick up the bike tomorrow and check the chain lines and make sure everything sounds okay. Thanks for all your help!!