Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed to death.
I need to replace a gore windbreaker that finally bit the dust after 10 years.

Any recommendations? I dont need full on rain proofing. Water resistant is fine. Breathability in that temperature range (50-60/65F) would be great.
At least 1 pocket, race cut and a 2 way zip in a perfect world.

Looking at maybe the Rapha Classic Wind Jacket II. Also perhaps a Gore Torrent (rain jacket). Assos Mille GT wind jacket.

Anything else?
Ornot Microclimate, piling on to others, it's a frequent go-to. But it may be too warm for what you're looking for if you're considering light wind jackets like the Rapha. In that case, I would suggest my even more frequent go-to---for my Bay Area riding where there is no winter, but we have "winter" early mornings year-round Voler makes the best wind jacket ever. Nice trim cut, American sizing (@ 5'10" 170lbs, Med is perfect) 3 generous rear pockets, sturdy no-snag double zipper, very breathable, holds up to a little light rain or mist, but not a rain jacket. MUSA. Bunch of colors, my "flame" is pretty high viz without looking like a construction worker. Sometimes there's clearance size/colors at 30% off, but one of a very few pieces I've been happy to pay full price for, I'm usually a cheapskate (with a drawer full of wind jackets that I will never wear unless I can't find my Voler). https://store.voler.com/products/101...42909455712446

Last edited by zennmotion; 05-22-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:16 PM

I am very intrigued by this voler. Double Zip. maybe handle a brief shower or mist. pockets... breathable. this may be exactly what I want.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I am very intrigued by this voler. Double Zip. maybe handle a brief shower or mist. pockets... breathable. this may be exactly what I want.
You might be in luck with a sale price- storewide sale for the next few days starting at midnight tonight. I also like their vest, same features as the jacket without arms.
https://voler.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...-or-promotions
Old 05-22-2024, 02:03 PM

I have the voler. It is great. Wind jacket up front, jersey on the back half for breathability.

My only other recommendation would be a Sportful Fiandre Light Jacket https://www.sportful.com/US/en/Mens/.../p/1120021_305

The Fiandre breathes better than the Voler and is a more comfortable fit. I choose the Voler if it is going to warm up and the jacket may need to go into my pocket. I chose the Fiandre if I plan to wear the jacket all day. Sportful is a sister company to Castelli, and I am pretty sure this is a sister jacket to something like a Perfetto light.

Last edited by KonaSS; 05-22-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:11 PM

Was on the same quest recently and landed on the 7mesh cypress hybrid.

https://7mesh.com/en-US/products/cyp...id-jacket-sale

Not sure why they stopped making it, but it’s pretty much perfect. Esp if you run hot (like I do). Gore infinium on the front. Side zips for pocket access and ventilation. Doesn’t rustle at speed and packs down to nothing.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
i have one that i picked up for $65 on sale not long ago and i like it though have nothing to compare it to. seems like it is what you're after though there are tons of options as well. i wouldn't buy a wind jacket without a 2way zip though and the voler does check that box.

should be deals this weekend along with voler with memorial day, no ?
Old 05-24-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
I’m a huge fan of the Castelli Perfetto jackets. I run the jacket/jersey solo in the 60s, dropping into the 50s I’ll throw in a light baselayer and low 50s, high 40s, a thicker baselayer.

Water and windproof, and just a great versatile piece.

I own 3 LS and 3 SS versions… short sleeve is great for 60s and rain up to mid 70s and rain… absolutely love this kit.

Warning to all to size up. I’m and XL in Castelli and large in almost all other brands…
+1 I also have 3 LS Perfetto's

They really do have a wide temperature range of usage. With the two zip vents open & top zip down even a little you get like a venturi effect of cooling

With a LS base it can go comfortably to colder temps & with a no sleeve base I use them even into the 70's temps no problem

I also like the Beta RoS too & have two of those. They are very light at 200gr for a medium but do a great job in the 55-70 temps
Old 05-24-2024, 01:27 PM

If it might rain, Castelli Gabba/Perfetto or Sportful Fiandre.

If not, Rapha ProTeam.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:32 AM

This. I have the Fiandre Light and also the Rapha Pro Race Cape (don't know if they still make this one). They are both perfection.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I want a jacket, not a jersey to be clear. Don't want to rebuy entire wardrobe for fall.
At some point, isn't it just semantics on whether to call the article a jersey or a jacket?

For example, what makes this Rapha item a jersey and not a jacket? Quite pricey though

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/m...uct/AHP01XXNVP
Old 05-25-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
+1 I also have 3 LS Perfetto's

They really do have a wide temperature range of usage. With the two zip vents open & top zip down even a little you get like a venturi effect of cooling

With a LS base it can go comfortably to colder temps & with a no sleeve base I use them even into the 70's temps no problem

I also like the Beta RoS too & have two of those. They are very light at 200gr for a medium but do a great job in the 55-70 temps
+1 on the Perfettos. If so inclined, they even have convertible versions with zip-off sleeves to turn it into a warm shortsleeve jacket/jersey.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:38 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
You might be in luck with a sale price- storewide sale for the next few days starting at midnight tonight. I also like their vest, same features as the jacket without arms.
https://voler.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...-or-promotions
just bought the flame jacket and sea pine vest.. not bad to get a jacket AND vest for $155 total, shipped..
Old 05-25-2024, 09:59 PM

I don't want to buy 5 long sleeve jerseys. A jacket I can put ver kit I've got. Kinda like bib tights with no chamois
Old 05-26-2024, 12:47 AM

With your criteria, I would add one of my favorite jackets for that use case - the MAAP Draft jacket. Breathable, has a 2-way zipper as well if you are pushing hard. Pocketable too, if that helps?
Old 05-26-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernium View Post
With your criteria, I would add one of my favorite jackets for that use case - the MAAP Draft jacket. Breathable, has a 2-way zipper as well if you are pushing hard. Pocketable too, if that helps?
I must be getting really out of date--my go-to is still the Assos Intermediate for mid-temps, but that Perfetto looks nice...