View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM

I was fortunate enough to attend Barnett's Bicycle Institute last summer. If I remember correctly there are 12 benches. Each one is set up exactly the same with the perimeter of the pegboard numbered as in a grid. Much thought was given as to how each tool is laid out and each tool has an outline so you know exactly where it goes.

I don't know if somewhere on the vast internet there might be a plan showing the grid/layout. If you contact Barnett's, they may have such a plan available.

The value in this is obvious, a tach can work at any bench and know exactly where each tool is.

I can reach up and grab a tool from my bench w/o looking. We have four benches in my shop, each one laid out differently. Drives me nuts to work off another bench.

I want to set up each bench the same, but the other techs like to personalitheir bench and it's a battle not worth fighting.

But if I were to set up a shop from the get go, I would most certainly set up each bench identical.

One other thought. Instead of pegboard made from hardboard, there is also available pegboard made from steel metal. Somewhat expensive but ultra cool and much more durable. Not sure if you could outline the tools.