View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 AM

I've done it for years, and it is a pain to do correctly. The bulk of my experience is with a Nikon Coolscan 4000. A well respected unit back in the day, that is completely unsupported today. Currently use it with Ed Hammrick's excellent, but somewhat fiddly, Vuescan software. With a proper film scanner, figure on at least 2 minutes per slide. The Nikon has an IR channel, which helps for automated dust removal. However, it does not work with Kodachrome slides, or BW negatives. Can easily spend another 5-20 minutes in Photoshop fine tuning. That may not be required, if just going to post to social media, or share electronically.

I also use a custom cooked up rig, of an 75mm APO Rodagon 1:1 copy lens, adapted to my Nikon D800. The whole setup is on an old Durst color copy stand. With that setup, once dialed in, I can copy 1 slide per minute.

Not a fan of the consumer (sub $500) flat bed scanners for 35mm scans. More acceptable with medium format or large format.

Depending upon your appetite for frustration, you might consider sending out to a service bureau. Found a nice article on Wirecutter comparing some of the vendors, and talking about the process.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...nning-service/