View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 11:16 PM

GAP (Great Allegheny Passage)

I plan to visit Pittsburgh in July 2024 and thinking I might not get back east for a while; maybe I should take a few extra days and work in a quick bike tour.

The likely idea would be to explore the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) as far as I could that would create the greatest amount of fun in 5 or less days. Maybe that means taking a brisk paced 4-5 day tour all the way to DC. Or maybe it could mean a slower meander out and back for a few days. Or maybe most places aren't worth sticking around too long and it would just be fun to take advantage of the many carless miles and refueling locations for a while on lightweight gravely bike rental credit card-style and turn back around after only a day or two. Seems fair to reason it would be a fun ride up to the eastern continental divide and then sailing back down it to Pittsburgh.

I would be interested to hear about any experiences you have had riding for any stretch of the route from Pittsburgh to DC in July. Places that I ought to stop along the way to recharge or maybe camp? Comments on the trail conditions in general? Prevailing headwinds? Any detours worth mentioning?

Also, feel free to comment on the route linked below. This is what I got when I punched in point A (Pittsburgh) and Point B (Washington, DC). It looks like it keeps the route on the GAP as far as it goes and then picks up Canal Trail for the rest of the way to DC. Open to hearing about other ways through. thanks all. -rm

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/new