View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
^I don't think it's a generational thing. It may be a transplant thing. There's native LA and there's the LA where people with great jobs end up (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Lincoln Corridor, PDR.

Also, there's the "Photographed/Filmed LA" and the "Real LA." A generation past, people were looking to SEE the few sights (Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood Sign, Studios) and now people are looking to have experiences (eat, play, people watch).

If I were a kid (who will probably not own a car until her late 20s), I'd rather watch the Silver Lake streetscape than stare at the ocean from a restaurant in Marina Del Rey.

In any case, OP, the architectural tour thing is tough. You'll be driving 30 min to see half a block of interesting buildings. If I were you, I'd explore the West Adams area. The University of Southern California has helped revitalize that community more than any developer or politician. Tons of architectural diversity as well.
I grew up on the Westside (the South Bay actually) and feel I didn't learn **** about LA until I headed East chasing punk rock and tacos (we thought Tito's was the end all be all - it wasn't.) Haven't had any interest in going back to my hometown since. I stay East of Griffith Park. That said, if you're from the Midwest with kids, the beach is tempting and easy entertainment. Beyond that, it's a wasteland.