View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangski View Post
Hello,
I am having issues with both my main wheel set and backup set at the moment, hopefully you can assist.

My everyday wheel set I purchased used, unsure of the mileage from the previous owner however I have put about 2500 miles on them. DT 240 hubs, 20/24 CX-ray spokes laced radial front and two cross rear, Stan's Alpha 340 rims. I broke a spoke on the rear NDS last week riding into work, luckily I was close and only had to walk the last mile carrying the bike. I measured the spoke and ordered one from BHS, I installed the broken spoke and am pretty close to true however the dish is way off towards the DS. To be honest I never checked the dish when I bought them initially but I can't imagine they were this far off since I put 2500 miles on with no issues. Am I missing something with a single broken spoke? Is this normal to have to re-dish the entire wheel after breaking?

Second question,
I have been a diesel mechanic for the past 18 years in the Marine Corps and love fixing things. That interest along with a couple of posts on here got me interested in building my first wheel set, which I did two years ago. I used Bitex hubs from BHS, 20/24 Wheelsmith DB spokes, and Velocity A23 rims. The front wheel was easy to true, came out nice with somewhat even spoke tension. The rear took me longer to complete however it turned very true as well with even tension. I didn't put more than 50 miles on them initially, but the front had to be trued after the first couple of short rides which I assumed was due to me being a new wheel builder. Since I broke the spoke on my main wheels I have been riding them and they are out of true after each ride, I assume I should just pull them apart and start over but it seems odd that they went together so easily and the rear is holding true just fine. The wheel was built radial and I only weigh 155 pounds. Any thoughts? Or just pull it apart and start over?

I appreciate your assistance with the two questions. Sorry for the long post but I am currently out of two wheel sets right now and off the bike until I figure out a solution.
1)Sounds like the dish was off since new. Breaking one spoke won't make the whole wheel go out of dish.
Breaking spokes means tension is irregular, maybe from deformed(dented) rim. One spoke doesn't mean the wheel is dead but if you break a second after true/round/DISH/tension, you may need a new rim(NOT new spokes).

Thanks for your service.

2) if these wheels go out of true every ride, the tension is too low or erratic or both. Now that the wheel has been ridden with perhaps too low tension, good chance the rim is now deformed(bent)..I'd say take all the tension off, and 'rebuild', true/round/dish and tension..high enough(I'd say 120KGF DS rear and front).