View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
What VW did was set it up so that a key emissions piece of equipment doesn't operate under normal driving conditions but does during the emissions test. The reason for this is simple......the piece of equipment tends to wear out in about 30,000 miles and the regs say that VW needs to cover it for many years (I think ten but not sure) so........by leaving it turned off virtually all of the time it will never wear out and they will never be forced to replaced these under warranty.

It was a pure money saving issue for them.

I suspect that VW will be forced to do three things - first the cars will need to be recalled to have the ECU reflashed so the emissions stuff works all the time as it should. Second they will need to warranty the part when it goes bad from actually being used...over and over agin if need be...lastly they will pay a massive fine.

This is going to hurt them on a real way.

Dave
From everything I've read that seems like one of the possibilities. Apparently the NOx trap is expensive to replace and the warranty on the emissions system is 8 years or 80k miles which is well past the period it's rated for. Just the recalls and repairs are going to be in the $100's of thousands.