View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Drain or rebuild the carb after every use? I must be lucky because I've never had to do anything like that. I've run the same straight-shaft Stihl weed eater for 30 years now and only rebuilt the carburator once. I have taken no extraordinary care other than to use the proper fuel : oil mix and running them dry after the end of the season. Same with my 10 yo Husky chain saw, and now with a new Stihl weed eater (carb finally did give up the ghost and rebuild kit not available.).
We only rebuild our carbs every day because we are racing, the weedwacker gets tossed into the barn. It's not just the ethanol; the additives they dump into pump gas don't help carbs. Shell gas is the worst (all gas is the same when it leaves the refinery, the various brands add their own crap before it's delivered to stations). Whatever Shell adds makes the most mess.

Also, modern carb cleaners help, but don't really cut through the ethanol/additive sticky mess. The ultrasonic is the only thing that gets it. I really need to clean the snow blower carb before winter.