View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 PM

I don't know how fit you are, or how strong. Some folks can ride 88 hard miles like it's nothing. Some lack conditioning and reserves, so have to constantly fuel after about 30 minutes or so. Also don't know how hot the ride will be, or how much you will perspire. However....after your reserves are used up....you ride on mostly sugar...from some kind of food or drink in some form. Also...don't overlook the need for salt. Dr Mirkin, a sports Doc and nutrionist, talks about the importance of not letting your sodium deplete. Like some have said above, I wouldn't try much new on that ride. On a ride like that, especially if very hot, I mostly ride on weak diluted GatorAid and Fig bars (fig bars contain sodium). Salty chips for some salt, and maybe a Snickers bar if i get tired of fig bars. Sugar water goes into your system much faster than a sugar food, so keep the fluid intake up. Also will drink some regular water, maybe. Or maybe just diluted about half strength GatorAid. But none of that bothers my stomach in amounts I would eat. If eating 250 calorie cliff bars, would probably only eat 1/2 at a time. Riding long rides here in Florida heat and humidity, I deal with this a lot. How I eat and drink has a big effect on how I feel after a ride. (BTW....eating some salty chips, or anything salty, after 4-5 hours in 90 degree heat, really helps) If it's really hot, sports drinks don't contain enough salt to replace what you lose in sweat. if they did they would taste like sea water, and you wouldn't buy/drink them. And another BTW....my research on sports drinks is there isn't much difference in them, or enough to matter. So I just go cheap....powered Gatoraid about half strength. Anyway....drink the one you like.

http://drmirkin.com/public/ezine050210.html

Last edited by Ralph; 03-27-2015 at 07:34 PM.