View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
you should really see one in the flesh, they are really really nice. The polished chrome accents, the pewter head badge, the paint work, nice welds as well. They are really pretty frame.

Now don't get me wrong, they are expensive for a stock frame but they are VERY nice.
I'm hesitant to write this as I don't want to be dissing on anyone's bike....

At NAHBS in Denver, as I walked through the CK booth my path took me by a Cielo frame on display, going past from back to front. Glancing at it, I had to make a sudden stop, back up and do a double take. My fleeting impression was correct...the welds where the seatstays connected to the seat tube were easily some of the most unattractive that I had ever seen on a high end frame. I wish that I had taken a pic but I didn't.

A couple of years later I was at NAHBS Sacramento and I made it a point to check out that same area on the Cielos present there. While they didn't look as bad as the one I saw in Denver I can't say they looked all that great to me.

Maybe those were the exception rather than the rule, but given that they were display bikes I was very unimpressed.