View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM

Modifying a Selle Anatomica: Success(?!)

I took a chance wiith an SA during their winter sale, and initially was happy with it. I'd been on SMPs for a few years, then noticed some numbness coming back, urologist yelled at me, and I knew I had to mix things up. The SA seemed to do the trick: a totally different feel from the skinny saddles I was used, not pretty on my racy bike(s), but good for medium and long rides in a way the SMP wasn't (read, "not going going numb 'down there'").

Then the saddle began to trash my gear: as the saddle broke in, the wings began to flare, doing significant damage to a pair of (very) nice bibs to which I'd treated myself this winter during a sale. I fished around on Google and then wrote to SA. SA eventually wrote back and kindly offered to lace the saddle for me. I thought, "this can't be rocket science." I looked at pics of brooks saddles, carefully measured out a 'zone' for holes and then carefully drilled ten holes in each side of the saddle, and laced it up with a long waxed cotton shoe lace from the cobbler. It was really easy in retrospect.

The ride is different. At first, alarmingly different. But that is easing as this breaks into the new regime. Rode 54 fast miles yesterday and the saddle was comfortable, my nethers fine, and my bibs unscathed. I think this is a win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (29.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (30.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (18.1 KB, 263 views)