View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 AM

I did a few spin classes 10+ years ago in the winter. The bikes are about the same, some places have some rudimentary or even fancy electronics on the bikes but the structure of the classes and overall feel has changed a lot in a negative way IMO.

Back then there were often a bunch of cyclists in the class, the workout was somewhat sane in terms of something we'd want to be doing in the winter. The instructors were often cyclists too. It wasn't expensive, most of the ones I did were free with my gym membership.

Now it's expensive, they're doing weird things like turning out all the lights, burning candles, not running the A/C, playing tons of really obnoxious dance/disco music, doing weird moves that have nothing to do with cycling or maybe even seem like they'd mess up your pedal stroke, etc.. the instructors aren't cyclists and the classes are full of people who wouldn't get on a real bike. Just weird, not for me!

I go to the exact same workplace gym I was going to back then. Back then the spin bikes were accessible all the time to use in place of the horrible life cycles, etc.. the classes were free with your gym membership. Now they're locked up all the time except during classes and they want $20 to ride them for $45 minutes. The bikes are pretty much the same except now they have a head unit that lists speed (meaningless) and resistance level or something.