View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 01:45 PM

We love our small house... but not to put a damper on peoples dreams there are lots of hidden cost, county codes, and of course well we don't have it but we can order it for ya. Oh and "well that isn't how it's done."
Lets not forget the cost of a approved septic system ($12,000) well, pump, controllers, and piping.($8,000) The other big expense it dirt work don't under estimate how much dirt work there is even for slab on grade, wow. On using cool things like straw bale construction. Well it sounds cool and can be great and all but. It takes lots of human power(volunteers/friends) because it is very labor intensive and our weather window in the Pac Nor west is short.

All in all we have 3 acres and two 12'X24' hay sheds. We converted one shed into a pump house using straw bale construction and the other half is open storage and garden shed. The other shed is our house yes just under 300sq ft including a mud room or entry way for jackets and boots. We used regular 2'x6" walls for this one and this place is supper insulated and we propane stove for heat.

The shop is next and it will be substantially bigger and will include a full bathroom, work out room and laundry. My wife's side will be a wood shop and my side is my bike shop. This will be slab on grade 2x6 walls and super insulated and a heat pump.

Cost wise we will be at about $119,000 at 3% at 30 years and plan on paying off at 15. Most all of the work has been done by us because we have more time than money so it works for us. So I am just saying if anyone tries this build your own tiny house its cheap approach make sure you look at everything then have fun.

Have a great day.