View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM
It An't Me Babe

Completely different set of rules for privacy concerns where it concerns private commercial enterprise like Google. Although I am not overly troubled by what Google may do with the information they glean from my internet activity, I am supportive of those that desire anonymity. I'm not sure how a customer that uses their services can find fault with the fact that Google will try to extract value from what their customers do - as the old saying goes "Nuthin' for nuthin'".

Much less of an issue in a free democracy than the inherent danger and risk regarding web privacy in a place like China where reading & saying the wrong things might make a person disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i don't think they really ever made that stance. are you sure you're not thinking of the government?
4th Amendment in the Bill of Rights prohibits unreasonable search and seizure to the citizenry. Patriot Act erosion of privacy concerns aside, make and keep the bar extremely high for government to get any information on the goings on of its citizenry. I don't recall any democratic government going to Google demanding data be surrendered on their customer's web activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Here's the infamous quote:

'Google CEO Eric Schmidt is the latest Silicon Valley CEO to draw ire after suggesting that folks seeking privacy might not want to look to the Internet to find it. ... Schmidt said, appearing on CNBC ... "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."'

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-to-hide-.html
However indelicately phrased in how that was said, it was honest to a fault and awkwardly hinted poorly at moralizing. I doubt Google or Mr. Schmidt could care less about what their customer's shouldn't be doing.

For me, privacy is a difficult thing to maintain in a modern, information suffused world. Driver's license, credit card activity, mortgage and/or real estate held, investment or securities owned, automobile titled, etc, etc, etc. Your stuff is out there and there's nothing you can do about it. And short of going off the grid, the fact that maybe someone or something might be prying at my web activity is fairly small beans to me.

Whadda they gonna find out, that I didn't download pictures of Ana Kornikova but instead liked pictures of Steffi Graf? Don't gotta spy on me for that, heck I just told you!