View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 03:09 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Back then I worked in a shop that was contemplating being a D2 dealer -hence I got multiple pair to try out. Discounted, not free. I think (hope) anyone considering a custom shoe would in fact read the instructions and watch the videos before throwing in a bunch of cash.

And I didn't say the crush box was difficult. I said there was risk in transmitting information (tracing/taking measurements/crushing foam)
to someone that then interprets that and makes a shoe by hand.

I'm not saying they are tissue paper but if you don't have experience with the fancy Specialized line of shoes --the Lamson/Riivo are more delicate, w/o question.

And it's why the Spec's aren't as comfortable. The uppers are more robust, as are the soles. I broke the carbon soles on D2 Kongs three times (just a cross country rider with bad insurance and a desire to self preserve).

Zero times on the Spec so far. Time will tell.

Ps. Don was great and makes a real nice shoe.
I’m surprised you broke his soles, especially on a MTB shoe. He uses pretty stiff carbon fiber, but not too stiff. With the Vibram outsoles he uses, the carbon fiber soles are pretty-well protected too.

Don’s new MTB/gravel soles allow some flex at the toes in front of the cleat to allow for better walking/running. This makes the soles even more resilient. Don also stopped using Kevlar sail cloth to reinforce his shoes and instead uses Innegra fabric. Like the sail cloth, Innegra does not stretch, yet it is lighter and allows the shoe to be far more supple. His new shoes are much improved from the shoes he designed and built at D2.

I’ve been close friends with Don for over 35 years, since we both lived in Vail, Colorado, and he owned the premier ski boot-fitting/insole fabrication shop in the Vail Valley (Boot Lab of Vail, when it was in the Mill Creek building and before he sold it to focus exclusively on bike shoes). I sat in his shop and watched him build insoles and fit shoes for many on the 7-11 cycling team and a number of other pros.

I was never more than a mediocre recreational racing cyclist. But I am big, hard on equipment, and can break almost anything I touch. I often get Don’s prototypes with instructions to do my best to destroy them. I’ve had very little success thus far. If you broke 3 pair, you must be doing something right, or maybe wrong.