View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS View Post
Originally Posted by b.steelman
"I know the new prices seem high. After my brain crashed and burned, and the decision was made to start over, some serious reevaluation was necessary to avoid a repeat. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and have sold a lot of bikes. Outside the satisfaction derived from seeing happy customers, the ratio of reward to hard work is out of balance. If you want to call me I will tell you the average bottom line on the schedule c for those years of work. It is embarrassing. Is it an evil thing if I want my wife and I to live on 60K instead of 21k? Most people in America make much more than a good frame builder and they don't work nearly as hard. If I don't sell bikes at the new prices, which are based on real costs and a decent wage, then it shows the market is unwilling to reward the skills needed to produce a top level product. I am not embarrassed by the prices because they are actually a fair value. You get a great bike and maybe I can buy some health insurance and start a small retirement account."

Assuming you have built between 100 and 200 frames per year, this would imply a per frame profit of less than $200. Frame builders must really love their work. FYI, you can probably qualify for Medicaid at 21K per year.

Best of luck with all future endeavors.
100-200? Don't most frame builders only build 45-65 a year? One frame a week average with time built in for shows, time off etc?