View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 06:07 PM

20+ years ago I had pain similar to appendicitis but it was on the wrong side. I thought it was due to something I ate at a raw seafood bar. I finally called my GP who asked if pressure on the abdomen hurt. When I told him the elasic in my underpants caused sharp pain he told me to meet him at his office ASAP. It was closed on this Sunday but he met me at the ground floor elevator so I did not have to climb any stairs. He quickly confirmed his suspicion that I had diverticulitis, prescribed oral antibiotics, and sent me home to rest and be carefully observed by my wife who had orders to phone him at home if I didn't improve in a couple of hours. He said had I been puking he would admitted me to a hospital so I could get my meds via IV. As an aside, he told me if I had endured this much pain on the appendix side it probably would have ruptured because appendix walls are not as thick/tough as intestinal walls.

A few years later I had subtle twinges that I remembered from my last bout of diverticulitis. I was camping with friends so I told them I had to get to medical help ASAP and asked them to take down my tent and bring my stuff home when they left the next day. Another quick round of antibiotics cured this bout before the pain got beyond mild discomfort. Fortunately I have not had a recurrence in 18 years. My doc said another attack and he would have recommended removing the section of my intestine with the offending diverticula. Whew!