View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 05:18 PM

I have a bike with Tiagra 4600 at the moment after 10+ years of owning 105, Ultra, DA, and one brief bad experiment with SRAM.

I don't have trouble with adjusting derailleurs and such but I would say the 4600 is among the most finicky groupsets I've ever used for rear shifting. So hopefully 4700 is a big improvement. It's just very hard/almost impossible to get it working as well as 105/Ultegra/DA. I've got a Compact crankset + wide range cassette which makes things worse but the Front der. is actually great, it's almost perfect, it's the rear which is wonky. And "wide range" is still nothing like an MTB cassette and most MTB groups shift them fine, and I've run Ultegra with a wide range cassette with no problem in the past too. I think it's just the 4600 brifters to blame as I also have the flat bar 4600 shifters and those have no issues.

I have most of an Ultegra group sitting in a box, I'd just need to buy one shifter.. but it's not a compact setup and it would make the bike more attractive to thieves. I just need to be in good shape to do that as I use this bike to tow a trailer & carry bags.. 53/39 + 70lbs of trailer + kid + heavy steel bike + hills is not going to be ideal.

Last edited by benb; 04-01-2015 at 05:22 PM.