Thread: 9/11 2001
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 06:07 AM

It's been good reading this thread. Thanks all for sharing. I cant say that I've had a reflective remembrance of 9/11 since the early aftermath of the event.

I was on the east side of the Hudson River about an hour north of the city, riding north on my bike. I had just moved to Cornwall-on-Hudson for a job at USMA West Point, on the other side of the river. I passed a very slow-moving cyclist on a beater bike headed south who mumbled something about a plane crash, and may have mentioned WTC. I dismissed it as just weird. To complete my circuit I needed to cross the Newburgh-Beacon bridge to get back on the west side of the river, but the bridge was closed. An officer told me it was because of the plane crash but still in my mind I was not making the connection, and was unaware it was a terrorist attack, nor did I know any details at all. So I spent the immediate aftermath in solitude wondering what was going on, on the bike getting back home the way I came, via the Bear Mountain bridge to the south, which was not closed. As I rode by West Point I saw that it was in complete lock down. Previously an open campus, it was months before cars were even allowed back on "post". Even then the entrance points were, and as far as I know still are, all cement barricades and car inspections.