Thread: 9/11 2001
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I was too close at the time to see the events in perspective. I was shopping at the farmer's market on Liberty St, 1/2 block away from the Twin Towers, about to make my purchase and go down to the PATH train to get to work in Jersey City. I had no idea what happened, and only left after the second plane hit.
Another few things came to mind after reading this thread. It's not a day that I care to revisit much in my memory. It was at least a year and a half after 9/11 before I felt comfortable being in that area again. I've never visited the 9/11 Memorial Museum and have no intention of ever doing so.

I would normally have already have taken the PATH and been at my office in Jersey City at the time the first plane hit. Or I might have been stuck in a train under the river. But that Tuesday was primary election day in NYC, and I decided to vote before work, rather than in the evening, as I almost always have done.

After the first plane hit, it felt like millions of documents falling from the sky around me, and there was some heavier debris like glass and concrete not far away.

I locked my commuter bike up on Liberty Street when I went to the farmer's market. In the general confusion, I left it there after the second plane hit, and of course never saw it again.

I was watching TV later in the day at a friend's apartment, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw video of 7 WTC collapsing in seconds. I worked in that building until June 2001.

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-14-2017 at 08:36 AM.