View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Velo News-Chain Lube

I used to wax my chains in the 90s. Performance used to sell cans of chain wax impregnated with Teflon. I wish I could find it again.

Wipe the chain off before dipping it (clean off old lube first time). After the chain has been waxed once, all you need to do is wipe the chain with a rag before waxing next time.

I prefer wax, as the chain lasts longer (IMO) and your drivetrain stays far cleaner than when you use lube.

One thing you can do if you don't have a wax heater: put the wax in old coffee can. Put the can into a pan of water so the bottom couple inches is submerged. Heat the pan on a hot plate or electric stove burner at a low heat until the wax is fully melted.

After removing the chain from the wax, I would drop it on an old towel. Let the wax dry fully. Then wipe all of the excess wax from the chain (not in your kitchen). There should be nothing left on your chain except a waxy film. Reinstall.

In hot weather, you will have to wax more frequently, but your chain stays clean and quiet for a good while.

If you are OCD, use two cans of wax. Use the first to dip and clean the dirty chain -- you can even leave it submerged in the melted wax for 30 secs or so. Wipe the chain immediately after removing it from wax, and then immediately dip in the can of clean wax.

I'm going to look for the wax heater. This seems to be a good, simple way to do this at a work bench.

Last edited by djg21; 01-27-2013 at 08:17 AM.