View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
This is the definitive carry-along guidebook to architecture in Los Angeles and Southern California. If you do not want to buy it I'm sure your library has a copy. It is a very useful book.

The Gamble House and a few other G&G houses in that immediate area are the ticket for LA Craftsman style, definitely.

FLLW's nearby "carpet block" Millard House ("La Miniatura", that SoCalSteve mentioned (never accessible, can only be seen from the outside)) and his Ennis House (Blade Runner; tours may be available, I can't remember) are also worth it if you're in the area. Also beautiful are homes by Neutra and Schindler, but as beeatnik stated those are just too far between them to make it worthwhile unless you are an architect/diehard.

I definitely recommend the Eames house in any case; not only is the building beautiful and iconic, and the address very accessible, but it has one of the greatest views/lots of any residence in LA.
I'll second this 100 times over! I've been in the house on a tour. It's amazing! Plus, as a bonus...there are 2 more iconic mid century modern homes on the same cul de sac. Look up the Case Study Houses. 3 of them on the same block.