View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Companies like Moots, or Bill Holland, or Land Shark, and several others, cater to those who demand absolute perfection as it pertains to ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Because they believe THAT translates (and rightfully so, IMO) into the perfect frame for them. There are those who scoff at the way some folks make a big deal out of the perfect welds found on Moots and Seven rigs. Maybe they're in some sort of denial, focusing on such things as dropouts, or tapered tubes, or whatever, in their arguments. Weak. At best. Some companies, as good as they are, are into the NUMBERS. Production NUMBERS. For the relative small builder, like Holland, and even Potts, et. al., it's a labor of love. And with THAT, you get a little something extra that you won't get from the BIG boys.And that something is ATTENTION TO DETAIL. And I guarantee you'll get the ride you're looking for. These folks will do anything you ask for. And make it happen. GO CHARGERS! Jeff N.
Big Boys? Do you mean Trek, Orbea, Specialized, Colnago? Serotta, Seven, Moots are all in relatively the same ballpark as far as numbers go.

Detail? Serotta dropouts make for easier wheel changes IMO; Serotta chainstays don't require large Q like Sevens; Kelly B. has been designing frames since Rob V. was likely an infant and has the cache that goes with it. I also appreciate how a Legend is stiffer than other Ti rides I have experienced. And I have multiple 17+ hour rides on the Legend (with Ks), so it certainly does not need to be any more comfortable.

That is the type of detail that matters to me. Personally, I think my Legend has beautiful welds, but structural integrity is what matters to me. A bike, to me, is a tool, not a fetish object. If you want a Ti bike not everyone can just buy, why not Tom Kellog? The man knows his stuff, shares dbrk's views on tubes (butting saves weight, and that's it), takes the intermediary of the fitter out of the equation since he will do it himself, etc. Moots, of course, has loads of experience building great bikes. My preference would be to let Steve Hampsten handle the design and the bike would be a guaranteed winner.

It's primarily the design and the fit. Kelly B., Steve H., and Tom K. will all deliver a top-notch product.

BTW, Go BAYERN! Real football is played outside the U.S: ...