View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Post Mod-ern

Speaking for myself only . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbod View Post
. . . I will admit to not knowing very much about the internal workings of Serotta Competition Bicycles. It is possible that Ben Serotta has been a figurehead for the last decade or so, sort like Eddy Merckx after he sold Merckx Cycles. But if Ben Serotta was more involved in the company, as CEO, Chairman and/or major shareholder, he deserves a great deal of the blame for the demise of a company that has been coming for 10 years or more. . . .
. . . I think this is very reasonable critique. Maybe not a "great deal" of the blame, but I think he's made business mistakes. Of course, I'm also not privy to the inner workings and so could never be totally familiar with the reasoning behind some of their business decisions--or even know if they were indeed Ben's decisions. But that would apply to all of us, as far as I know.

But also living close to the factory and being involved in local media, I have likely seen more local media coverage of the company's problems than many forum members, and I know he has been very candid in those local stories about mistakes being made and him making his share.

Again, only in my own opinion (not as a mod), it's a situation that has indeed been abuilding for while. I just hope they are able to continue to build bikes in some scaled down operation, because I know they ARE good at that.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats