View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Dually is more of a payload than a towing thing, depends on trailer weight and balance. I tow fine with a single rear wheel f350 and a 3 horse trailer with living quarters that goes around 10k loaded, but is lightish on the gooseneck.
Dually is another thing that adds expense if you don't need it, but is invaluable if you do.
Dually trucks are great for heavy trailers, but a PITA for other aspects such as parking and costs. You have to keep an eye on tire pressure. A low pressure on one tire of a pair causes the higher pressure tire to heat up. IMO, if it is a dedicated tow vehicle and the trailer is >12-13K pounds, it is the best choice. As a daily driver, it is less than practical. That said, duallies sometimes sit on the lot and you can get a good deal at the end of the year. I was surprised at how affordable F-450s are, but again, it will be expensive to operate.

Two years ago, the local Chevy dealer had a long bed, regular cab, 2WD, Duramax 3500 dually for $60K. My F-250 is a work truck XLT with cloth bench seats and not much in the way of bells and whistles. It was $13K less than a Lariat. I have the nice entertainment system with a big screen, that's all that mattered to me for options.