View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Or to put it in terms of Economics 101, prices go up as demand rises.

Bikes are being sold at a wider range of price points, from $300 - $15,000. Furthermore, the average consumer can choose from more than a dozen different brands, which means there should be more than enough competition between brands. If the prices people are paying for bikes are going up, it is only because people are willing to pay those prices.
That's true, but I'm thinking about what effect that the newer features are having on the numbers of bicycles being sold at various price points.

I recently looked at the lowest end of the market price range MTB's, and found that often-heavier bikes having narrower overall gearing with conspicuously-wide ratio gaps are replacing the former simple triples, while of course selling for around 30-40% more than just a few years back.

That Costco sale, particularly on the full-suspension models, was one for the record books. I missed out, but also missed out on dealing with anything having to do with thru-axles or having 80cm handlebars and all making their physical size more like my old dirt bikes.