Thread: If........
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Cool.

Yes I'm sure the homage bikes would ride differently than what I currently offer. I build with a lot of very light modern tubes that are much thinner than anything Serotta ever offered and this means that the homage bike would be a bit heavier and not quite as smooth on the road.

Much of the feel on a bike is dictated by the tube wall thickness - by far the biggest influence is diameter but after that wall thickness comes into play. Modern tubes like 953 can be so thin because the material is so strong and these thin main tubes are still plenty stiff but they transmit much less shock than the thicker tubes from even 10 years ago. Many folks think 'steel is steel' and that bikes made from modern materials will feel the same as the steel bike they rode way back in the day and that just isn't the way it is. It's still called steel but the ride is different and to my taste better now.

Your JKS uses a mix of 953 and 853 pro and I'll bet it doesn't feel much at all like a bike built of SL or SLX yet they are both steel.

So the difference between my current offerings and an homage bike would be many and the biggest change in feel would come from the difference in wall thickness.

Make sense?

dave
Dave, I'm sure someone will want a "homage" frame/bike, but what would they do with it? and would you put kirk decals on it? what would you call it? would it ridden on ice cream rides?

Every weekend, how many lost souls are rolling on carbon bikes that weigh under 18 pounds, some under 16 pounds. why not take those parts and weld them up with 953 and 853 tubing and build a ride that is as good as anything else you build today? sure make something that looks like a CSI or a colorado, but it should be a great riding bike that someone would want to ride hard today! wouldn't that really pay homage to those parts?