View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Hmmm. I once picked up a 16-penny nail, jammed the sharp end right through the tubing of the chain stay, and it held so hard that the head of the nail just chopped up several spokes (non-drive side since that's the side where the nail stuck, not that it matters).

Once I encountered a goose on a big nasty downhill. It was either a crash, or a crash cushioned by a goose. I chose the latter. It was a mistake. The goose jammed into the fork and into the seat stay (yup, goose was definitely kaput) and just massacred the frame and also both wheels. Not even enough to walk home with. And I crashed hard anyway. Of course the goose no longer was in any shape to care.

All kinds of ways to break a wheel. That's the morale. But usually you know clearly what happened. That doesn't seem to be the situation here.

In this case there aren't really ferrules with rivets like on most rims. There are the little inserts illustrated above, and yes, they do fall out and you then can't install a spoke. But they don't fall out until you get the tire out of the way. If the issue is really with missing inserts, then your tire had to come off (assuming the rim isn't completely ripped apart). Please do send photos. So far, it isn't really clear what happened, and it should be.