View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Lynn has gangs and crime and Swampscott (very high property taxes) is where they go to rob houses. Marblehead is physically isolated and the commute gets very tiresome. Very overpriced for its minor charms.

Watch out for the assertion of good schools in Mass. My son went to what was once listed as a top 10 public school in Mass and it sucked, IMO. Really study average SAT scores and particularly Ivy acceptance rates if looking at high schools; state achievement tests if looking elementary. Do not believe anybody saying anything about how great their schools are, go by the data. But out in the 'burbs they are pretty safe.

You really have to figure out how much time and hassle you and your wife are willing to endure in your commute, presumably by car, before we can narrow down neighborhoods for you. I second the endorsement of Hamilton/Wenham. Great road cycling connections to all that is desirable (including NH) and rideable to MTB, good mix of expensive and affordable real estate, and its own train station (parking for commutes at local stations is tough except for early birds). The drive to Nahant is not many miles, but I won't say it's a breeze (you'd learn short cuts). Picturesque town.