View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM

that was my point

about possibly moving saddle. OP does not necessarily seem that well-versed in the subtleties of fit, so I suggested another approach to the experiment. and i agree 15mm is a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Someone mentioned sliding the saddle forward. That's not the right way to fix reach, but that assumes you are already in the optimal saddle position in terms of fore-and-aft.

If you haven't had a really good fit session and your saddle isn't dialed in, that may actually be an OK solution.

Also the fear of going to a 90mm stem is overblown. I agree it can look odd but the fear of it affecting handling is blown way out of proportion due to internet hearsay plus "the rules". 90mm probably looks fine on bikes with frames 54cm or smaller too. The fear is not rational with respect to the laws of physics.

I've taken the same bike and run stems all the way from 70mm to 110mm and there is no negative effect. If anything that bike was most unstable with the longer stems because it threw off the weight balance due to excessive reach. The shorter stems do change handling but your brain adjusts in a minute or two. The difference in handling feel from a 100mm stem all the way down to a 70mm stem is tiny compared to the difference between running a 32mm tire and a 23mm tire on the same bike.

I have a bike with 32mm tires and a bike with 26mm tires.. I have a way way bigger handling adjustment when I get onto the bike with 26mm tires than I do if I shorten the stem.

Changing the stem is much faster, easier, and cheaper than changing out the bar.. you change the bar to get comfortable wrist angles in all the positions and also to set the relative positions of the tops vs hoods. With a long reach bar you could use a short stem and get a really upright position on the tops but still have an aggressively longer reach on the hoods. Likewise a deep drop bar will allow you to have a less aggressive hood/top position with a more aggressive drops position. The short reach bars that are popular right now kind of negate the amount of relief you can get when tired by riding on the tops.