View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Bit silly in a way. The small guy at a swap is just rotating personal toys, and not likely making money. More cutting losses, and freeing up some residual value, to make room for the current whim du jour.

Straight up, a sales tax is a consumption tax, and in the case of personal sales, should be the responsibility of the consumer. In Ohio, I am required to report any purchases that I made on out of state purchases in which tax was not collected, and pay the appropriate local sales tax on said purchases. In a recent case, I purchased a private sale vehicle, which just happened to be from out of state, although that didn't complicate the situation too much, and was required to pay local sales tax when registering the car locally.

In my opinion, which likely counts for little, only registered business should be required to report and collect sales tax. To be clear, even if it is a casual endeavor, if you are trying to turn a profit, or at least break even, it is a business. Moving some personal inventory, likely for less than acquisition cost, then "nothing to see here."
Agree.