View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM

One last bit of advice that I would add, is that you should be prepared to be his advocate in making sure he gets the assistance and accommodations that he needs. There are a lot of people who are still in the dark ages regarding child behavior and it's possible you may encounter resistance along the way.

You haven't said what behavioral issues you may be noticing, but if there is anything that could potentially be helped through therapy, treatment or accommodations at school, you may have to battle for that access.

My wife became quite the neurological expert through her own research and it helped us get our primary care physician to recommend occupational therapy that really turned things around for my daughter. Her elementary school, and one of the teachers in particular, were also not very helpful. My wife spent a lot of time educating and fighting the powers that be, but in the end was successful in getting a 504 plan and simple accommodations that allowed her to succeed in class.

My daughter is now 14 and would probably be described as "quirky", but I don't think a stranger would meet her now and have any idea of the issues she had 7 years ago.

Hopefully you don't have to fight to get your son any help he needs, but prepared to do battle if necessary.