View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
my dad was born in Scotland in 1908. He played soccer as a kid and retired as a professional in 1948. He headed many heavy wet leather balls and probably had a few concussions from on-field collisions. He died at 81 having suffered from increasing dementia in his later years. We assumed it was Alzheimer's but these new studies make me think Dad's problem may have been a result of many hits to his head. I like that idea because head hits aren't hereditary. I hope.
I think the doctors might agree with you--my sister-in-law suffered a full-on TBI in a car accident. Did the full course of rehab, and had permanent long-term impairment to a degree.

The one thing the doctors were emphatic about--she had to quit playing soccer for just this reason--the chance of re-injury it was too great. So she took up rowing...

And if it is the cumulative effect of series of minor jostles rather than full-on hits that cause blackouts or TBIs then no amount of coaching about how to hit in football will save the sport.