View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
^I don't think it's a generational thing. It may be a transplant thing. There's native LA and there's the LA where people with great jobs end up (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Lincoln Corridor, PDR.

I'm second generation Angelino. My mom grew up in Boyle Heights when it was a nice suburb of downtown. I grew up in Encino and moved to the Westside in my 20's. My father was an architect for the LADWP. He took me all over LA as a kid. I've lived, worked and seen a whole lot of LA in the 58 years I've lived here. Also, spending 35 years working on movie and TV sets, I have seen more of LA than most.

Also, there's the "Photographed/Filmed LA" and the "Real LA." A generation past, people were looking to SEE the few sights (Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood Sign, Studios) and now people are looking to have experiences (eat, play, people watch).

I truly don't think you can assume what any given tourist might want to see- do- experience while they are visiting here.

If I were a kid (who will probably not own a car until her late 20s), I'd rather watch the Silver Lake streetscape than stare at the ocean from a restaurant in Marina Del Rey.

Again, that is you. People are as diverse as LA is. Different experiences for different people.

In any case, OP, the architectural tour thing is tough. You'll be driving 30 min to see half a block of interesting buildings. If I were you, I'd explore the West Adams area. The University of Southern California has helped revitalize that community more than any developer or politician. Tons of architectural diversity as well.
The West Adams area doesn't have the style of architecture you are looking for. Pasadena for Greene and Greene ( there is also a F. L. Wright tucked away on a small street in Pasadena). It's very cool. And, if you can get to the Eames house, you will see 3 iconic mid century houses on the same block.

Enjoy!

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 03-14-2017 at 03:05 PM.