View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
You guys who are running the stripped down/chip amps: can you elaborate a little more on the setup? Adequate power? I/O? I'm intrigued, since pretty much all I do is stream music.

Do you still need a power amp, or is THIS the power amp?

(sorry...I'm an English major...)
it all depends!

like bicycles, there's a hundred different ways to skin a cat when it comes to audio equipment -- I used to be into complex systems, planar speakers, tube amps, and stuff...but now I'm stuck in the basement so happy with a good pair of Infinity 2-way speakers, a Yamaha integrated amp, and an iPod. Its relatively clean sound and loud enough to piss off the wife.

The OP is trying to set up a vintage system and stream from his computer using it as the music source. Since a vintage amplifier/receiver won't take a digital input, he's asking two questions 1) best route to get to a 2-channel signal (regular ole stereo) via RCA plugs and 2) is this a good used amp on eBay for what he's trying accomplish.

Its sorta hard to answer the questions really --- everyone has their own tastes and desires and preferences. Really, I think running a patch cable to convert from a miniplug (in the back of his computer) to two RCA plugs (the back of the amp/receiver) is the simplest solution.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-C...iniplug+to+RCA